TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

RENT

1) Somebody dies of AIDS, right?

2) Why? Did you see it, I mean.

1) Yes.

2) To be fair, I walked out twenty minutes in and snuck into Good Night and Good Luck instead.

1) I would assume so

2) One of my friends is obsessed with the play and subsequently the movie, and wants to know what I would think. So, I'm going today.

i think i'll get around to see it. I saw the play on Broadway and was pretty blown away. Doubly so because i thought i'd find it lame, as far as the subject matter goes.

Seeing some clips though, I think having them sing amidst actual NYC locations kinda zaps the charm out of the songs.

Guest Vitamin X

I saw it because I'd heard good things about the play, and I like some musicals. This one kinda sucked, though. It had some good songs, but it doesn't seem that it translated very well from the stage to the big screen, as every scene felt like the musical score was way too forced and had no flow to it whatsoever.

The play itself's pretty good, if not the greatest-of-a-generation, as its most ardent followers would have you believe. But for me, most of the appeal was in the bizarre set and weird, lurid antagonism you could see bubbling under a lot of the live performances. Since all that's gonna be missing from the film, not worth it.

I assume everyone that went to see this, you know, went on a date to see it. Otherwise I'm silently laughing.

No plans to see it, I don't like shitty "let's make the best out of a situation we could have prevented" movies.

I assume everyone that went to see this, you know, went on a date to see it.  Otherwise I'm silently laughing.

No plans to see it, I don't like shitty "let's make the best out of a situation we could have prevented chick flick musical" movies.

Not to be insensitive, but why do they all have AIDS? They all fags or something? I mean, this IS Broadway.

Guest croweater

I saw the production once and wanted to kill myself about half way through. It was the worst show that I had ever seen (although the performances were really fantastic, which really means whatever the medium or whoever is staring I'm going to hate it). So, this one's deffinately a no go for me.

My wife and I saw the play back when it opened, and loved it. Couldn't wait for the film when we first heard it was coming out. After seeing, I was definitely pleased. My wife was bawling about halfway through the second act all the way to the finale.

If you don't like musicals, don't see it. If you like musicals, I highly recommend it.

If you saw the musical and are expecting the same thing for the film, be warned. They are two different mediums, so concessions had to be made. I think they did a great job translating it to the silver screen. The one thing I really liked was their treatment of the title song. If you saw it you'll know what I mean.

As for the whole AIDS/gay discussion, one person dies of AIDS, one other is on the verge, but doesn't. Three of the main characters are gay, and one is bi.