TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

Wait a minute, There's a tennis channel?

And memo to ESPN, NO ONE GIVES A FUCK ABOUT DAVID BECKAM.

Thank god Quite frankly got canned. Now if we can get Chris boussard and his annoying voice off of ESPN, it might be good.

Guest Smues
Quite Frankly got cancelled.

Best news I've heard in a while. Thank you ESPN, you've earned a free pass from me for awhile.

Bill Walton - "I'll take Phoenix' defense over Houston's".

Keep in mind that this was after Jon Barry calmly explained that Houston is # 1 in the league in PPG allowed and FG % defense. Both Barry and Tirico scoffed at the notion that Phoenix is a top 3 in the NBA defensive club. Walton's logic is that Houston slows it down, and because they don't score much on offense they're not as good on defense as Phoenix who plays an uptempo game. Never mind that Phoenix gives up the 5th highest PPG in the league, a full THIRTEEN+ points more than Houston. Put down the joints Bill.

Keep in mind that this was after Jon Barry calmly explained that Houston is # 1 in the league in PPG allowed and FG % defense. Both Barry and Tirico scoffed at the notion that Phoenix is a top 3 in the NBA defensive club. Walton's logic is that Houston slows it down, and because they don't score much on offense they're not as good on defense as Phoenix who plays an uptempo game. Never mind that Phoenix gives up the 5th highest PPG in the league, a full THIRTEEN+ points more than Houston. Put down the joints Bill.

I have no idea if it's true or not. But a team playing an uptempo game would be a perfectly valid reason for a team allowed more points. It would certainly explain why Phoenix scores so many points. For what it's worth, John Hollinger's Defensive Efficiency statistics ranks Phoenix eighth (fourth in the Western Conference), putting them in the top third of NBA teams.

Arguing that they're better than the # 1 team in the two main statistical categories is kind of silly though no matter how you slice it. No one should pick Phoenix' defense over Houston's just like no one should pick Houston's offence over Phoenix'. I could see saying that Dallas or San Antonio's defense is equal to if not better than Houston's, but there's no basis in fact that Phoenix plays better defense than any of the other teams listed.

Where do the Texas Triangle teams rank on that list? I'm assuming that they're the top 3 in the West.

Where do the Texas Triangle teams rank on that list? I'm assuming that they're the top 3 in the West.

You're correct. It's Houston, San Antonio and Dallas. The Chicago Bulls rank best among the Eastern conference.

And for those interested, it's not a complicated statistic. It's simply points divided over possessions.

Sportscenter: ...using Hasslebeck's name to do a shitty "SexyBack" rhyme using him and the Seahawks to hype up the package about the Hawks/Bears...

"My name is Hasslebeck... those other QB's don't know how to act..."

Sportscenter: ...using Hasslebeck's name to do a shitty "SexyBack" rhyme using him and the Seahawks to hype up the package about the Hawks/Bears...

Well. The Seahawks are fucked. Glad Chicago is one of the teams I actually like.

Eh, I like Bill Walton's gimmick of saying ridiculous things, but I couldn't believe it when he actually tried to defend this as a serious point. I think he eventually realized it was stupid to try make this point, though. Jon Barry was ripping him for the rest of the game about it, and he just sat there and took it.

"Come on, Bill, have you been touring with Grateful Dead recently?"

*Sarcastically* "...that defensive juggernaut in the valley of the sun."

You think Walton's bad now, you should have seen him when he was the color guy for the Clippers and when he did a few UCLA games a year.

My God.

ESPN still has coverage of the Aussie Open. C'mon, I know they want to give it up. And the Tennis Channel would take it in a heartbeat.

And we don't have the fun of them hyping up Penis Williams and how SHOCKED they are when she's "upset" in the 1st week.

:huh:

"Penis" Williams? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Yeah it was Neil Everett

You can't blame ESPN for the Hasselbeck "SexyBack" song. It's one of the thousands of fansongs that idiots make across the country every year for every sport and for some reason ESPN decided to run this one on the air (which you can blame them for). But they aren't responsible for it being an actual song.

You think Walton's bad now, you should have seen him when he was the color guy for the Clippers and when he did a few UCLA games a year.

My God.

Those days were awesome and a fond rememberance of my youth. He's better than the current Clippers color commentator.

Guest Princess Leena
ESPN still has coverage of the Aussie Open. C'mon, I know they want to give it up. And the Tennis Channel would take it in a heartbeat.

And we don't have the fun of them hyping up Penis Williams and how SHOCKED they are when she's "upset" in the 1st week.

:huh:

"Penis" Williams? What the fuck is wrong with you?

She looks like a drag queen.

According to John Clayton, Brian Schottenheimer made a great decision in withdrawing from the Miami job that he had a good shot at. Of course completely ignoring the fact that he probably did it as a favor for his father. There must have been political reasons, or he probably feels he's not quite ready to be a head coach, but Clayton said in almost the same breath that he is ready. But he really solidified his job as coordinator with the jets.

What I can't understand is why taking the job wouldn't be the smart thing to do if he is in fact qualified (conflict of interest with his father aside).

Even if you consider that Parcells used to be an analyst for ESPN, I think the coverage is justified - Parcells is probably one of the top five, maybe three coaches of all time and there's definitely a sense out there that this is the "final retirement."

Yeah, it's not like there were any important games yesterday that they could be talking about instead.

Two things bothering me today:

1- The Colts still have to win the damned Super Bowl. I think this point has escaped all the suits at ESPN. I know it's the golden boy against history's greatest monster Rex Grossman, but I don't think this is the slam dunk Colts victory that they are making it out to be.

2- Bill Parcells was a great coach and is leaving a tremendous legacy,but he was really mediocre during his Dallas run. And I really doubt this is his last coaching job. This whole thing screams resignation and not retirement.

They've got two weeks for coverage of the Super Bowl. The story on Parcells' retirement broke today, so I can't really blame them for following the breaking news - besides, I'm sure we'll see more terrible analysis of the championship games later tonight.

Bill Parcells was a great coach and is leaving a tremendous legacy,but he was really mediocre during his Dallas run. And I really doubt this is his last coaching job. This whole thing screams resignation and not retirement.

I could be misreading the situation, but Parcells was looking pretty haggard towards the end of the year, like the years were finally catching up with him. I'm not sure he could land in a better situation than what he would have in Dallas, even if Owens were to stick around.

Let's see here...Vince Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, Chuck Knoll, Tom Landry, George Halas, Don Shula, Paul Brown, Bill Walsh...nope, not top 3. Or 5.

Edit - Mike Ditka. Jimmy Johnson. Both were as good or better than Parcells...and Mike Holmgren is at about the same level. And John Madden.

You know, the Tuna would really struggle to make a top 10 of all time.

He's not even a better coach than Belichick, and if the "lesser" Bill retired yesterday we wouldn't have gotten wall to wall coverage today. I guess I'm just over Parcells and his woe is me act after every retirement. Go away and stay away.