TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Richard

Red Hot Chili Plagerists?

Guest Felonies!

There's only so much you can do in a simple rock song, sometimes things sound alike. Well, let's listen.

Chord progressions: Am7, G, D isn't the same as Am, G, D, though. The dominant seventh changes it a little. Still, does this guy think chord progressions have never been ripped off? I mean, shit, how many songs have I-IV-V blues progressions?

I'm concerned about the lyrical content being the same, though. That's kinda shameless.

When he plays the two chord progressions over each other, the guy goes YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL! But you can hear the Am7 clashing with the Am

Guy said this was like I-VII-IV but I think it's just V-IV-I

Guest Felonies!

Hey, I was just listening to "Big in Japan" and I was like "hey this is really good" but I realized it's basically just "Hang On St. Christopher." Oh well.

There's only so much you can do in a simple rock song, sometimes things sound alike. Well, let's listen.

Chord progressions: Am7, G, D isn't the same as Am, G, D, though. The dominant seventh changes it a little. Still, does this guy think chord progressions have never been ripped off? I mean, shit, how many songs have I-IV-V blues progressions?

I'm concerned about the lyrical content being the same, though. That's kinda shameless.

When he plays the two chord progressions over each other, the guy goes YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL! But you can hear the Am7 clashing with the Am

Dude.

As far as artists ripping off other artists, I find this less interesting than John Fogerty ripping himself off about 15 years ago. However, I find it more interesting than Nickelback ripping themselves off over and over and over.

Guest Felonies!

Miracle Drug has the same chords (D, A, Bm, G) as With Or Without You.

As far as artists ripping off other artists, I find this less interesting than John Fogerty ripping himself off about 15 years ago. However, I find it more interesting than Nickelback ripping themselves off over and over and over.

You are correct, sir. Personally I have no problem with their music, but I will admit that they have been making a killing since 2001 by rewriting "This is How You Remind Me", over and over. See "Someday", "Photograph", and "Far Away" for proof of this.

I remember there was something going around...kinda like this deal with the Chili Peppers and Tom Petty that had a cross up of "How You Remind Me" and...I think "Photograph" playing at the same time, and it showed that it is, in fact, the exact same song. But then again, all those bands sound alot alike.

Yeah, but it's not just the progression it's how you play it. In this case though, the way they're played are very close to each other. I don't know, a few days ago when I looked up how to play Dani California on guitar and started playing it the first thought that popped into my mind after couple bars was "hey, Last Dance With Mary Jane." So I'm sure the band knew the similarities when they were recording it.

But whatever, welcome to Rock and Roll. Like every song ever was ripped off from something.

I honestly thought this song sounded familiar, and I couldn't figure out what the hell it sounded like.

I think it's more coincidence then plagarism.

Guest Felonies!

Once I posted "Metal Guru" interpolated with "Panic" by the Smiths. Those songs are identical.

Anyway, the RHCP isn't a carbon copy, but it's perilously close, probably lawsuit close if Petty and his lawyers feel like running (down a dream) with it. See, this is what happens when you make really bloated albums.

Once I posted "Metal Guru" interpolated with "Panic" by the Smiths. Those songs are identical.

Anyway, the RHCP isn't a carbon copy, but it's perilously close, probably lawsuit close if Petty and his lawyers feel like running (down a dream) with it. See, this is what happens when you make really bloated albums.

Oh, I see what you did there. Ha.

I don't think Tom Petty will sue, he seems way too laid back to jump into court over this.

Now, if it was Petty's instrumental, straight up, with new lyrics, I'm sure he would, unless he's friends with RHCPs or something.

His lawyers, however, will probably want to go to court as soon as they hear about this.

Fucking lawyers.

Can people stop mis-spelling my name.

Man, I swear I looked at your name just to make sure I spelled the word right, and I still fucked it up.

:bonk:

12 notes

7 chords, with 7ths tossed in.

There's only so many combinations that can come down without repeating themselves.

And bands that have every song sound the same?

Everclear just came on my radio.

The best OMGPLAGIARISM! mashup of all time is Orbital's Halcyon (live) where they break the song to mix "You Give Love a Bad Name" with "Heaven is a Place on earth", then mix in Halcyon.

It's on one of the B-discs to "In Sides" (which is one of the best techno albums anyway) which also features the awesome "Satan".

Those are some pretty damning clips.

But shit, Jet's whole act is ripping off songs and trying to sound exactly like other artists.

I suppose this is karma for Anthony claiming Mike Patton had benefited from ripping him off on his first Faith No More album( yeah, I don't see it either).

Hmph, I remember hearing something about that.

Mike Patton >> Anthony Kiedes (or however you spell it)

Guest Felonies!

I think it is a pretty common one. What makes "With Or Without You" unique is that there's always that D major arpeggio playing, which creates some interesting harmonies against the other three chords--namely a favorite of mine, the major ninth--when D major is played against G major or A major. (D major and B minor just make a major sixth, since the D and F# of the Bm are already accounted for in the D major.) At the end of the day, though, this means nothing, because boring old Adam Clayton just plays D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-G-G-G-G-G-G-G-G, just playing the root of each chord. I hate boring bassists. Walk, dammit, walk. Do SOMETHING.