TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WON WWE News and notes - 7/17

Buy rate news:

The first estimates for the Judgment Day PPV are at 238,000, which is up on the previous ‘B’ shows this year by some margin. It’s up 11% on Backlash.

Domestically, JD did between 140,000 and 145,000.

Dave says the above average trend indicates either Mysterio as underdog champion actually work, despite his near burial, or that Great Khali drew money first time out.

Says the number is by no means a success, but by 2006 standards they shouldn’t be doing this well on the first estimate.

Last year’s JD did 233,000 on first estimate, though this year they waited longer to get that estimate, which usually means it will be higher.

Last year’s JD did 260,000 on the final number, with 170,000 domestic buys, but PPV last year was going much better business.

The raise in price starting with the June One Night Stand PPV will more than make up any monetary differences.

Notes on Raw:

Said Cena vs. Benjamin would have had more meaning if it had been billed as the winner faces Edge for the title rather than Cena has to win to get the title shot, and Benjamin would have been elevated just by being there.

Dave called Melina vs. Stratus the women’s match of the year. Dave also said Melina came off as such a superstar in the match. Dave also said Melina had more presence than Trish, which was a surprise, that she carried herself as a superstar, and that even the top men would be pressed to do a match this good in that short a time (The match went 3:56)

Called Foley’s promo one of the greatest in the history of wrestling and that it was easily the best promo of the year. Said the only negative was that he was a total face in the promo and he’s meant to be the heel. The promo itself was actually taped last week, and several who saw it said it was too inside and made Flair the heel, but Vince was so busy with his stuff that he let it go.

Said the people who put together the Haas-Viscera-Garcia skit must still be traumatized over a pretty girl they had a crush on in high school who didn’t like them back, and this was them getting the revenge they never got back then.

Dave called the Diva Search segment one of the worst ever., and The Miz was “pathetic”, as host.

Other news:

Jonny Fairplay was talking about an idea to manage The Miz, and Steve Lombardi told him it would be a bad idea because “The Miz has to be a babyface.”

Jimmy Hart, Ron Simmons, Maria and Ashley visited military bases in Kuwait. Hart wanted to go because his son was over there for a long time and he wanted to experience the situation as well. Ashley was sick. Hart noted that they found locals and servicemen with bootleg WWE DVD’s, and Hart even picked up a DVD of “See No Evil” for $3.50.

Danny Basham will be part of ECW teaming with Doug Basham, but their role is strictly to put over The FBI at house shows.

The results of Matt Cappotelli’s latest MRI show that his brain tumor has neither increased or decreased in size. Right now, he’s avoiding surgery.

While Van Dam is scheduled to headline an ECW house show in his hometown of Battle Creek, MI on 11/6, it’s not etched in stone because it’s a Monday and they might pull him from the show if he’s wanted on Raw.

Daniel Rodimar was signed to developmental deal this week. What he has going for him, apart from being tall and big, is that he looks like a 60s bodybuilding icon called Dave Draper, and that’s someone who Vince grew up on. Someone who saw him recently said, however, that he likes every other generic guy, because of the short haircut and his tattoos. He was told by John Laurinitis that was on the “fast track” to the main roster. Rodimar has done exactly zero pro wrestling matches.

Jimmy Hart and Gene Okerlund will be hosting the Hulk Hogan DVD that comes out this year. It will be 9 hours in total, and will include a Hogan vs. Lawler match from Memphis.

Stephen DeAngelis being replaced as ECW ring announcer was down to a couple of factors. Vince felt he shouted too much and told him that. He also got labeled an “ECW Original”, which is a big knock internally. Kevin Dunn heard about the criticism and suggested to Vince that he get removed because he had an “annoying” voice. It was also claimed he was too inquisitive for a ring announcer.

Atlas Security were gotten rid of because Kevin Dunn said they kept getting in the way of the camera shots.

Dave called Melina vs. Stratus the women’s match of the year. Dave also said Melina came off as such a superstar in the match. Dave also said Melina had more presence than Trish, which was a surprise, that she carried herself as a superstar, and that even the top men would be pressed to do a match this good in that short a time (The match went 3:56)

Bullshit. Trish/Mickie have had significantly better matches. The match was okay, but so freaking sloppy and it had negative flow to it. I have no idea what Meltzer was watching, to be honest.

Dave called Melina vs. Stratus the women’s match of the year.

Compared to Trish / Mickie from WM 22, that's a fucking insult! Besides, Trish and Melina had a much better match at SSeries a couple of years ago.

I've seen at least 18 better woman's matches in US this year then Trish/Melina. Meltz, is such a mark for Foley and Flair that he can't see straight.

I find myself disagreeing with Meltzer on pretty much everything he says about matches, promos and Flair. But when it comes to how things should be booked, and what needs to be done to help the business, he's usually spot on.

Stephen DeAngelis being replaced as ECW ring announcer was down to a couple of factors. Vince felt he shouted too much and told him that. He also got labeled an “ECW Original”, which is a big knock internally. Kevin Dunn heard about the criticism and suggested to Vince that he get removed because he had an “annoying” voice. It was also claimed he was too inquisitive for a ring announcer.

I finally agree with McMahon and Kevin Dunn....god his voice was terrible.

Danny Basham will be part of ECW teaming with Doug Basham, but their role is strictly to put over The FBI at house shows.

Well, I find that pretty interesting. Knowing WWE, I would have thought that they'd be doing the exact opposite in order to bury the FBI and put over the WWE Basham "creation".

Daniel Rodimar was signed to developmental deal this week. What he has going for him, apart from being tall and big, is that he looks like a 60s bodybuilding icon called Dave Draper, and that’s someone who Vince grew up on. Someone who saw him recently said, however, that he likes every other generic guy, because of the short haircut and his tattoos. He was told by John Laurinitis that was on the “fast track” to the main roster. Rodimar has done exactly zero pro wrestling matches.

How John Laurinitis still has a job is one of the true great mysteries of the world today. Isn't he the same fuckwad that hired the wrong one-legged wrestler when told to go out and hire Zach Gowen?

Jimmy Hart and Gene Okerlund will be hosting the Hulk Hogan DVD that comes out this year. It will be 9 hours in total, and will include a Hogan vs. Lawler match from Memphis.

As one of the biggest Hulk Hogan fans that you'll ever meet, that's great news for me!

Atlas Security were gotten rid of because Kevin Dunn said they kept getting in the way of the camera shots.

Speaking of great mysteries of the world, just how the fuck does Kevin Dunn still have a job as well?

And yes, I know that both questions can be answered with a "because they're yes men" bullshit answer.

Maybe if he would have hired both one legged wrestlers, Vince would have tied them together and had himself some mutant heavyweight with two heads. I mean, Vince could be like "If we can't sell out arena's with one headed wrestlers....let's just add another head! Eventually the two heads can split up and feud over the decomposing body!! IT'S GENIUS!!"

Laurintis: and you know who can fuck the decomposing body?

Vince: KAAAAAAAAAAAANE!! *orgasms*

Dunn: We'll start Monday!

Everyone: BRILLIANT!!

Tonight is the modern day Hogan Vs. Haku.

Except with less charisma and less awesome hair

That's two strikes against it already.

If Cena is Hogan, does that make Edge the Randy Savage of the group? Except, Edge has at least gotten one pin on Cena, and Savage hasn't pinned Hogan in his whole career.

If Cena is Hogan, does that make Edge the Randy Savage of the group? Except, Edge has at least gotten one pin on Cena, and Savage hasn't pinned Hogan in his whole career.

I miss Afro Thunder. :(

I miss Afro Thunder. :(

Thats why we have Carlito...no wait, nevermind

Speaking of great mysteries of the world, just how the fuck does Kevin Dunn still have a job as well?

I was always under the impression that Dunn was responsible for the show's overall production. Now, the creative aspect of the business is awful, but the look and the sound the shows are still pretty damn good.

How John Laurinitis still has a job is one of the true great mysteries of the world today.

He gets the type of guys Vince loves. He's got a job for life.

Now, if there was a sane person running the business, I'd agree with you.

Remember the contestant from the most recent TE that tore his pec during the tryouts, but impressed Johnny Ace so much that he went ahead and gave him a developmental deal? Whatever happened to that guy?

Remember the contestant from the most recent TE that tore his pec during the tryouts, but impressed Johnny Ace so much that he went ahead and gave him a developmental deal? Whatever happened to that guy?

That was Matt Morgan. He was a active member, got hurt and came back and instead of them letting do what he does best (cut promos), they gave him a stuttering gimmick. After that shockingly failed to get over, they canned him.

Now, the creative aspect of the business is awful, but the look and the sound the shows are still pretty damn good.

The looks and the sound are just as outdated as their booking. The video packages are ok but all other visuals and sound has been the same since 98.

That was Matt Morgan. He was a active member, got hurt and came back and instead of them letting do what he does best (cut promos), they gave him a stuttering gimmick. After that shockingly failed to get over, they canned him.

I'm certain it wasn't Morgan. I'm referring to a contestant from the Smackdown-exclusive TE tryouts from '04. The contestants were put on a bench and asked to bench press some random amount of weights. There was one guy who looked like a bulkier Matt Capotelli that got on the bench, and tore his pec not too long after he started. Johnny Ace said he was so impressed with his look, that WWe would pay for him to have the muscle fixed, and offered him a dev. deal right there on the spot.

So they think DeAngeles is annoying and Justin Roberts ISNT? Fuck, why can't they just get Artese (sp?) or something?

So this one guy has had zero wrestling matches and is "on the fast track" to the live roster.

Yeah, sounds about right.

that answers my question on who'd they wanna bury more: ecw guys or ovw guys? the answer: vince gives a crap about tagteams as much as bischoff did

kevin dunn knows all about wrestling. no one should question him. ever.

if vince had his way he'd have every wrestler, announcer, commentator a (male) topless bodybuilder

i think he cries himself to sleep every night ever since he let nathan jones walk out of his life

but seriously what kind of childhood does someone have 'growing up on bodybuilders'

Guest wildpegasus

I'm certain it wasn't Morgan. I'm referring to a contestant from the Smackdown-exclusive TE tryouts from '04. The contestants were put on a bench and asked to bench press some random amount of weights. There was one guy who looked like a bulkier Matt Capotelli that got on the bench, and tore his pec not too long after he started. Johnny Ace said he was so impressed with his look, that WWe would pay for him to have the muscle fixed, and offered him a dev. deal right there on the spot.

I thought they were impressed with his ability to keep going?/not sookying? or something like that after suffering a pec tear and that's why they signed him. Perhaps it was a combination of that and his looks.

Bullshit. Trish/Mickie have had significantly better matches. The match was okay, but so freaking sloppy and it had negative flow to it. I have no idea what Meltzer was watching, to be honest.

If I recall, Meltzer made some really stupid comments about the Trish/Mickie Mania match, calling it "carry job by Trish." I think he gave it like 2 stars. But then again, he called MITB on the same show ****+, so I don't put any stock in his opinions. I'm not sure why he's so down on that program, though. It's been the best feud of the year, and probably the Raw MOTY as well. Granted, Raw MOTY doesn't mean much, but it was at least *** 1/4.

I'm also not terribly impressed with Melina as a wrestler. Her best WWE match was with Christy Hemme last year.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
Dave called Melina vs. Stratus the women’s match of the year.
Compared to Trish / Mickie from WM 22, that's a fucking insult! Besides, Trish and Melina had a much better match at SSeries a couple of years ago.

Couple of years ago? It was a mere 8 months ago, at Survivor Series 2005.

As one of the biggest Hulk Hogan fans that you'll ever meet, that's great news for me!

I hope there's some Hogan in New Japan stuff on this DVD set... Hogan v.s. Stan Hansen and maybe Hogan v.s. Inoki or Hogan v.s. Andre for the nuclear crowd heat.