TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TysonTomko420

Comments which don't warrant a thread

In Flair's book, he said that back in the early-80s when he was the NWA Champion, he, Terry Funk, and some other wrestlers were drunk in his backyard, and it got the point where he crawling around wearing nothing but the title belt. At that point, Flair's wife came home with a new female friend with her. She pointed at him and said, "Yes, that's my husband, the world's champion naked crawling around with Terry Funk."

Yeah, I remember hearing that Orton's bad behavior was initially his attempt to live out the stories he heard from his dad and other old timers so that when he got older he'd have stories for the younger generation.

That's just pathetic. Unfortunately you run into that a lot these days. Doing crazy shit for the sole purpose of having stories in the future is incredibly phony. Kids in highschool used to party eventhough it was completely out of their character becuase they wanted stories when they were older, similarly when I was backpacking in Europe there was the same type of self aware kid going out of their way to struggle, living on nothing and travelling by thumb because that's the stories they heard from their parents and such when they did 30 years previously.

You can't do crazy shit while self aware! Phony sonsabitches.

I just posted this in Backlash's thread, but I wanted to see a response from people who might not read that thread after the PPV. Cena's had 6 title defenses since winning the title at Unforgiven. 2 for Edge, 2 for Umaga, WM 23, and the 4-Way. Do you like the fact that you get a little less than 1 World Title match a month? Or do you think it's a good thing? I don't like the fact that, even if they don't have a chance, guys like Nitro aren't getting title shots, even as fodder. It'd at least put them on the map if the match was hyped for several weeks. Even on a throwaway Raw. In the same light, it makes Cena's title matches feel more special at the PPVs...

It is a good thing. Makes getting a shot at the title worth something. You can have Cena in non-title matches and tag deals to keep things moving along. Having the "fighting" champion defend week in and week out works on some levels but when Cena's held the title for as long as he has over the past two years (which isn't a bad thing despite some people's hard headed ways). Cena isn't coming off as if he's ducking people. Note that he keeps offering title shots but gets placed into these tag matches instead. Building to actual title matches is a plus. Having mid-carders/JTTS getting random shots is futile.

Yeah, I agree here. I just wish Raw could get some more main eventers developed besides Cena, Michaels, and Edge. Seriously. With the exception of a sprinkle of RVD...it's been: "The Champ is Here"..."I want MY title, Cena!"...and "The Showstopper is Back!" for over a year straight. When you're running a weekly show, and the champ's appearing on that show *AND* other shows like Smackdown occassionally (month of February, month of October), it gets old. I think a lot of the "SAME OLD SHIT" that gets thrown to Cena has to do with a lack of opponents. I dig Cena and hope he holds onto the belt until Survivor Series '07, by the way, getting absolutely squashed by Khali, taking the Rumble, and winning it back at WM 24.

Cena F-U-ing the Never Pinned Great Khali outdoors in Florida would be fucking amazing.

For some reason after hearing Orton might go to another show had me thinking of a quasi-prison angle where the pariah Randy is stuck in the rough environment of ECW, where neither of the main gangs want him (Originals hate him, and the New Breed distrusts everybody after what happened with Punk) and there's no direct authority to help him. It gets so hopeless that he ends getting stuck as the flunky/bitch of Snitsky who offers to protect him if Randy helps him get the ECW title.

But maybe I've just been on an Oz kick lately.

I just posted this in Backlash's thread, but I wanted to see a response from people who might not read that thread after the PPV. Cena's had 6 title defenses since winning the title at Unforgiven. 2 for Edge, 2 for Umaga, WM 23, and the 4-Way. Do you like the fact that you get a little less than 1 World Title match a month? Or do you think it's a good thing? I don't like the fact that, even if they don't have a chance, guys like Nitro aren't getting title shots, even as fodder. It'd at least put them on the map if the match was hyped for several weeks. Even on a throwaway Raw. In the same light, it makes Cena's title matches feel more special at the PPVs...

Title matches aren't special any more because it's painfully obvious that Edge is the only guy they could feasibly put the title on. Orton's being punished, Michaels has stated numerous times he doesn't want it, Umaga's tied up with Lashley, Batista & Taker are feuding over their title, & HHH is out injured. Barring an "unexpected" Mr. Kennedy cash-in, Edge is all they have.

To touch on the SOS argument, it's seriously getting to Honky Tonk Man-esque levels where the fanbase stops caring about the character, and is just so sick of seeing him as the champion and bragging about how great a titleholder he's been that they're just DYING to see him drop the belt. Seriously, Cena first won the belt at WM21, and barring a couple weeks in January of 06, and from ONS II in mid-June to Unforgiven in September, Cena has held the belt. 25+ months now since he first won it and it's been what, 22 full months of Cena as champion?

^Agree. When Cena loses it'll be a big deal and will probably spike the ratings like it did when Edge beat him at NYR '06. I do think that Cena's opponents are running dry and that when this HBK feud ends we need another draft, which will have a different twist to it with three brands.

Cena's movie is a mainstream rental smash, he's the fucking most over guy in the company, he continues to deliver great main events, he's the face of WWE, doesn't look like a cartoon, is a/the top merchandise mover, and can work well against a variety of styles so please tell me where he's The Honky Tonk Man, one of the most worthless wrestlers ever.

Yeah, anyone who thinks Flair is a good role model should read his book.

No doubt Rowe.

Regarding Cena as champion, Raw currently doesn't possess a wrestler capable of carrying the big gold belt besides Cena. Orton is a douche and getting punished and is the definition of fragile, plus he's lousy in the ring and has little heat - Michaels is a shell of his former-self, and he doesn't really want to carry the title, as well as him being an old timer now - Edge is the best candiate to carry the title, but his history of injuries limits his chances as champion, and I don't think the company really wants to give him an extended run as champion even though he's the companies best heel and has been for a long time running.

why do people STILL insist that no one cares about Cena?

Probably because many of us dont.

I'll agree that no one else is over enough to carry the belt, i dont want to see HBK as champ. Orton maybe, but only because it would be funny.

Ive just never been a fan of Cena, ever. I stopped watching wrestling after Hogan won the undisputed title for HHH and my first introduction to Cena was at WM Twenty something when he won the title off JBL, and i thought the match was pretty bland and i couldn't get over the fact Bradshaw was WWE champion. And since then, my view on him has always been a bit tainted. The guys gimmicks don't work with me, i find his "goofy" promos annoying and i find him quite dull in the ring. Last night was the first time I really enjoyed a Cena match, i didn't even like his ones against Umaga.

I'd like to see someone else as champ, but there is no other option. Unless the push some new main eventers or bring up someone from OVW, im afraid we'll being Cena as champ for a long time.

many of who? smarks? the whopping 10% of the WWE's fanbase?

People either love him or love to hate him...either way, they care and either way, dude gets amazing reactions.

many of who? smarks? the whopping 10% of the WWE's fanbase?

People either love him or love to hate him...either way, they care and either way, dude gets amazing reactions.

Yes Lushus, by "us" i meant TSM.

from what I've read, "our" fanbase is pretty 50/50 on him.

I think for some of those on the "hate" side, it depends on which John Cena shows up. Cena has about three different versions at this point. He has "The Rock" John Cena, which is horrible to watch and probably caused a lot of the Cena hate to start. Then there is the "edgy" John, which is actually his best version since he leaves the horrible gay jokes at home and just acts like the character that got him here. Then you've got "support the troops" Cena, which is a bad mix of the two that doesn't work at ALL.

When Cena is Cena, meaning his Smackdown persona with some tweaks then he is great. When he tries to throw out catchphrases and do 10 minutes of homosexual jokes, it's incredibly painful.

Right now, I'm fine with Cena but I don't know if that has to do with him or the fact I think the main eventers on RAW are just miserable. I don't see anything in Edge except his constant stupid facial expressions, Orton has been destroyed and he's not exactly Mr. Reliable in terms of how long he can even stay out of trouble, and HBK is HBK.

I just feel Cena is stale. He wears the same outfit every week, does the same moves, wrestles basically the same match. It's gotten old. He really needs a heel change or character tweak of some kind. I know the merchandise sales say otherwise, but that's my opinion.

from what I've read, "our" fanbase is pretty 50/50 on him.

By many, i meant 50%

well I think the reason for the Cena "rocklite" persona is that hes supposed to be the top face and wwe thinks that the way to push faces, if you recall when cena turned face in late 2003 he was still rather edgy, but that all changed after the Janet jackson SB scandal and since sd was on network tv and owned by viacom who were the victims of a huge lawsuit thanks to "nipplegate" they forced wwe to tone stuff down

but all in all cena has delivered the goods in a big ppv match and worked well with a variety of different oponents ranging from JBL to Angle, To Umaga

of course people will get tired of the same guy being pushed, but hey at least hes not HHH right?

I'm pretty positive Cena's had more Title defenses than that. On RAW he's had at least one against Johnny Nitro and another one against Chris Masters which I remember was a Masterlock challenge also. It seems you're only counting PPVs so maybe you should check RAW or even SD! to be sure.

He's only had seven title defenses: Against Edge twice, against Umaga twice, against Masters, against Michaels, and the four way last night. Seven title defenses since 9-17 when he won the title.

"On RAW he's had at least one against Johnny Nitro and another one against Chris Masters which I remember was a Masterlock challenge also. It seems you're only counting PPVs so maybe you should check RAW or even SD! to be sure."

I did count Raw. He hasn't defended the title on Smackdown!. He never defended it against Nitro, those were non-title bouts.

At any rate, go Cena.

I just feel Cena is stale. He wears the same outfit every week, does the same moves, wrestles basically the same match. It's gotten old. He really needs a heel change or character tweak of some kind. I know the merchandise sales say otherwise, but that's my opinion.

You can easily attribute that to every champion in the WWE in the past 20 years.