TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

Has the Raw main event scene ever been this stale?

God, this show is so boring right now. It's been the same shit week in and week out for months. Cena and Edge have been feuding since January and it just won't end. We've had Edge sneak the title from Cena twice, we've had Cena get it back twice, we had a Big 4 PPV main event, and we even had a gimmick match blowoff, and they're still feuding. What could it possibly take to end this?

And Vince has been feuding with HBK even longer. They had a gimmick match blowoff at Wrestlemania followed by a tag team blowoff at Summerslam, followed by a gimmick match blowoff at Unforgiven, and according to the Observer, they're going to continue feuding as well.

I mean honestly, how do they expect the fans to care when they just continue doing the same shit week in and week out. I watched the opening segment this week, and as soon as I saw that they weren't resolving the Edge/Cena feud and were doing another meaningless six-man in the same static path they've been on for weeks, I just turned the show off.

My question is do you ever remember anything like this happening before? Where they just stretch on feuds for months and months PPV after PPV, never resolving them no matter what? I honestly can't imagine why they would do this.

Meh. I enjoyed Raw. The Cena/Edge stuff is great. Seems to get better each week. Even though it's been going on for a while they have seemed to make it feel different every month. Maybe I'm just a sucker for long fueds and 6 man tags. The DX/McMahon stuff seemed to be toned down a little this week and maybe it will stay that way. You have to admit that Cena has gotten his (face) heat back at least a bit from this long fued with Edge. I say have the blowoff at Cyber Sunday in a cage or an I quit match.

The bizarre thing is given Smackdown's lack of talent, they've had fairly different main event feuds since the start of the year.

Raw's had none of the injury/suspension problems SD's had and yet they've repeated the same programs ad nauseum.

Vince pushing that bland John Cena is just another reason why Vince has lost his mind.

Because pushing the top draw in the company is the mark of a man who has lost his mind :rolleyes:

Ok, fine. So Cena finally got his drawing power back. But, I'm joining the author of this thread on the list of people who are gonna be turning off RAW. So, that's it.

The bizarre thing is given Smackdown's lack of talent, they've had fairly different main event feuds since the start of the year.

Raw's had none of the injury/suspension problems SD's had and yet they've repeated the same programs ad nauseum.

Good point. Their respective World Title matches at PPV this year.

RAW

New Year's Revolution - John Cena vs. Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Carlito vs. Kane vs. Chris Masters followed by John Cena vs. Edge

Royal Rumble - John Cena vs. Edge

Wrestlemania - John Cena vs. HHH

Backlash - John Cena vs. HHH vs. Edge

One Night Stand - John Cena vs. RVD

Vengeance - RVD vs. Edge

Summerslam - John Cena vs. Edge

Unforgiven - John Cena vs. Edge

Out of 8 PPVS, some form of John Cena vs. Edge has been the World Title match on five. I know Rock & HHH had four PPV Main Events in four months in 2000 (and were opponents in two other multi-man matches later in the year where the focus was on other feuds), but they had twice as many PPVs to work with since that was before the brand-split. The Cena/Edge feud has lasted over twice as long.

Smackdown

Royal Rumble - Kurt Angle vs. Mark Henry

No Way Out - Kurt Angle vs. Undertaker

Wrestlemania - Kurt Angle vs. Rey Misterio vs. Randy Orton

Judgment Day - Rey Misterio vs. JBL

One Night Stand - Rey Misterio vs. Sabu

Great American Bash - Rey Misterio vs. King Booker

Summerslam - King Booker vs. Batista

Booked for No Mercy - King Booker vs. Bobby Lashley

No two men have been in the same ring twice. Smackdown may not have the depth that RAW has, but the bookers are making a far better use out of the roster they've got.

RAW was horrible in 2002, but it wasn't because it was stale. It was because Vince tried throwing every piece of shit at the wall and hoping it sticked.

I dunno if Raw's main event scene was stale in 2002. I mean in that year alone we had Jericho and the Rock, Jericho/Austin, the various NWO incarnations, Hogan, UT, a bit of Lesnar before he defected, RVD, Kane, HBK. That's quite a few different main event guys.

I honestly don't find Edge/Cena that tedious. They usually have a good match, especially with a gimmick. Do we really need Orton or someone being pushed in the title scene instead?

If anything, I think ECW has the stalest crap in the main event.

Speaking of the other feud, when did McMahon/Michaels start anyways? I want to say soon after Shawn got done with Hogan at Summerslam, but I don't watch RAW on a regular basis, and don't watch it much at all during the MNF season so I can't remember.

Speaking of the other feud, when did McMahon/Michaels start anyways? I want to say soon after Shawn got done with Hogan at Summerslam, but I don't watch RAW on a regular basis, and don't watch it much at all during the MNF season so I can't remember.

I think it was the Raw right after or before Christmas last year. McMahon was 'reviewing' Bret's DVD and called HBK out, who told him to grow up and move on. That's why this feud has been going on near 10 months.

I think we should use "Randy Orton" in place of "stale" from here onward. I don't hold any ill will towards the guy, but any interest I have in him halts the moment he speaks or wrestles. Well, that and he's the biggest running gag in wrestling today.

Guest Princess Leena

At least it's nice knowing that nothing has changed in the 4-5 months I haven't watched Raw.

I think we should use "Randy Orton" in place of "stale" from here onward. I don't hold any ill will towards the guy, but any interest I have in him halts the moment he speaks or wrestles. Well, that and he's the biggest running gag in wrestling today.

:rolleyes:.

Build Kane back up to the world title level. I know, been there done that, but at least it's not been done in a while. Carlito, maybe Umaga, Doane, hopefully they'll be at that level in a year or two. I wouldn't mind a heel turn for Shawn Michaels after/if the DX thing ends. He wouldn't have to be vulgar, cursing, if he doesn't want to play that character, just insult the fans old school style, cheat to win, interfere in the face's matches, etc. I'm sure he knows how to get that done.

DX can feud with the McMahons until the end of time, for all I care. It's better than the two of them squashing all the other actual wrestlers every week.

I wouldn't mind seeing Michaels align with the McMahons for whatever reason, as long as there is some logic to it-jealousy over HHH getting a title shot, etc. I still think a Eugene heel turn, mocking the fans on how he fooled them, etc, could make him a upper midcarder.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

See, I think it has been stale all year expect for when RVD had the title during the Summer, and when Edge originally won it, but it's about to pick up to build to something for WM23. I think they're gonna add Umaga to the title scene to feud with Cena for a while. Maybe Cena .VS. Edge .VS. Umaga at Cyber Sunday. Then there was talk off Edge winning the title back (again) from Cena at Survivor Series, and the Edge/Cena feud would be done after that. Then they'll start the slow build for Edge/Triple H at WrestleMania.

man, john cena is so stale. dx is even more stale. i'm glad the wwe fired kurt angle because he was getting sorts stale. should rename the show stale is war.

that post was so stale

:rolleyes:.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the guy and his character (and his line about not only being able to have Nitro's title whenever he wanted as well as Melina was ace), but I have an extremely hard time caring about him. Nothing but love for Mr. Orton. I think it was the pose that won me over. It's so perfect.

It's pointless to add Umaga to the title scene. They aren't going to put the title on him, nor should they. And the other option is to just job his undefeated streak to a guy like Cena that doesn't need it. I dare say I'd keep him unbeaten just squashing jobbers and an occasional star, then put him vs. UT at WM. Streak vs. streak.

A good manager can do a lot for a heel, give it time, maybe he'll be world title worthy in the eyes of the fans. Way, way back, One Man Gang didn't seem out of place as the champ in a league with the likes of Duggan, DiBiase, Terry Gordy, Sting, etc (old UWF). Not going to get too far off the subject, but a heel stable with Umaga and the Colon boys would go over well, iny my opinion.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

If they had Cena/Edge/Umaga at Cyber Sunday, Edge would take the pinfall, to leave Umaga "undefeated".

<Insert generic authority figure title> Ric Flair: Right here tonight... It's gonna be Bradshaw and Stone Cold... vs. the NWO!

The following week...

Flair: TONIGHT, in this very ring... We're gonna have Stone Cold and BRADSHAW....... vs. the NWO!

The FOLLOWING week...

Flair: Tonight, in the main event, it's gonna be.... the NWO..... vs. Bradshaw................... and STONE COLD!

damn that Vengeance main event sticks out like a sore thumb.

dont remind me of Raw post-split 2002. A very directionless show, or maybe too many directions when their priority was make Bradshaw a star. But they got back on track when they got back to basics with Katie Vick.