TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

MTV VMA awards

This show was an utter piece of shit. The only thing that made it entertaining was Sarah Silverman. It seems no one there understood her comedy.

The funniest part was the whole "we won't air this again after the first time" bullshit. After it aired I was able to watch THE REPLAY! Everyone knows MTV airs shit ad nausium.

They just need to go back to what made this show great and get rid of those shitty new categories. And WHAT THE FUCK WAS WITH MISS SC?!?!?!?! Holy shit was that horrible! And gotta love the "fight" between Kid Cock and Tommy Lee. The fact that MTV put it on their website shows how desperate they are for people to visit their site, or just tune in for that matter.

None of these shows will top the 1992 awards.

Was that the one where Poison played despite grunge having hit (I think Nirvana played that show too) and hair metal being completely dead? And then managed to completely mangle 'Talk Dirty To Me' so bad that they had to restart the song?

And yeah, the VMAs haven't been worthwhile since they moved from NY to Miami. The Radio City Music Hall ones were great.

Sarah Silverman bombed cause she isn't funny. She just says stupid shit.

I don't think i've watched since Eminem came in with all the Eminem-look-alikes and at the end Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera had to present him the video of the year or something.

Ah, I didn't think Brit would be a train wreck but I was completely proven wrong.

She looked like she didn't want to be there. Like she would walk around a little bit, half ass on one of the dance moves and then keep it moving again.

That was all kinds of horrible and cool at the same time.

And 50 can never talk about a performance at a awards show. EVER. After that thing he did at the BET music awards where he forgot the words and just went in the crowd and started shaking hands with people.

Brit has the 2nd worse performance of the year thanks to that.

Kanye Calls Out Britney

“I can’t believe she would perform. She hasn’t had a hit record in years,” he said, angry that MTV didn’t invite him to open the show. “Maybe my money’s not right. Maybe my skin’s not right.”

The ‘Jesus Walks’ star told US Weekly:

“Honestly, I really don’t care. I don’t give a fuck about Britney performing.”

“I should have opened the MTV awards because ‘Stronger’ is the number one album in the country,” he said.

“It just shows you that you have to do shit to get ratings, and maybe they feel like they will get more ratings with Britney.

“Britney’s song isn’t as good as ‘Stronger,’” Kanye complained. “This is some bullshit, and I don’t really care.”

http://www.popcrunch.com

Lulz.

Keep playing the race card. Especially for awards no one cares about.

I like Kanye's music, but I always hope these instances (like the one with the "touch the sky" video) are him just being intentionally ironic and that he really doesn't give a shit.

Kanye knows he's a dick. He's self-aware about all his tantrums and ridiculous egotistical comments, he talks about it in his songs.

Still, knowing you're a dick doesn't make you any less of a dick.

"Due to copyright reasons, we (MTV) can not show this video outside of the US"

Thats the message I get when I try to watch the video, well thats just ghey. They don't even say sorry!

I had a similar thing when I tried visiting the nbc website and watch conan o'brien. Does anyone know if those websites that hide your IP can get by this? (does anyone have a link to a good one?).

Wow, the PR from Britney's "performance" is tremendous. Here is front page quote from aol news....

It's Britney,... (Glitch)

Spears' Flubbed Lines & Flabby Abs Open VMAs: Watch Disaster Unfold

-For what its worth I didnt think she looked THAT bad - what got me was her lack of even giving a shit about being on stage. One of the worst on stage performances I've seen ever.

I think it is hilarious that all these fat, out of shape, too ugly to get TV jobs writers are talking about how horrible her body looked.

Her look was the only thing not wrong with that performance.

She seriously looked like she got stage fright when she turned around and all those people were there. then she just got a whole "Fuck it" attitude going and it really didn't look like she was slightly trying.

Seriously was she even wearing a "mic"?

But I agree Ripper, she looked fine, if bored and just meandering around...

I do agree that this is just another death knell of MTV. I mean, look, they can't beat E! or VH1, so...

MTV was a standout channel that played videos only. But they got better ratings through TRL, Jackass, and the Real World.

So they decided to move in that direction. But in doing so they lost any sort of individuality that they once had. I still flip to it on instinct, and last night I saw some sort of fashion model show that I certainly couldn't differentiate from Top Model or whatever.

I can't even remember when MTV showed videos.

The 90's?

The best part of the whole show didn't make it to air. Kid Rock and Tommy Lee got in an actual fight and we missed it. It explains Diddy's comment though. And why the fuck did Shia Lebouf offer the Best Female artist award to Ludacris?

PS: The Timberlake party at his suite was more interesting than the actual VMA's. Hell same goes for Kanye and the Foo Fighters.

Here's a video of the fight. Doesnt looks like much happened to be honest w/ you.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1569305/2...lee_tommy.jhtml

Stupid video doesn't work for me :(. Either way, by all accounts, Kid Rock hit Tommy a few times and that's about it. Although I do like the MTV report mentioning that Kid Rock had a cigar in his mouth the whole time.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad
MTV was a standout channel that played videos only. But they got better ratings through TRL, Jackass, and the Real World.

I can't even remember when MTV showed videos.

The 90's?

Everyone was complaining then too, but we'd take Remote Control, Road Rules, Aeon Flux, The Head, Sandblast, Singled Out, and Beavis and Butthead as the worst of MTV's deviation in a heartbeat, wouldn't we?

EDIT: hah! I googled "MTV sandblast" to jog my memory as to exactly what it even was, anyway, (beach volleyball and stuff), and I found a New York Times editorial that proves exactly what I said:

TELEVISION VIEW; The 'M' in MTV Loses a Little Of Its Standing

By NEIL STRAUSS

Published: August 13, 1995

WHEN MTV BEGAN broadcasting 14 years ago, its creators thought it could be a radio station with pictures. The idea was to create a 24-hour-a-day channel where disk jockeys with faces played pop and rock songs by artists who had bothered to make videos for their hit singles. With videos now a necessity instead of an option for most groups, MTV could easily fill its air time with music. Instead, the music has been disappearing as MTV has metamorphosed into a youth-culture network with a heavy emphasis on the libido.

Seventy-five to 80 percent of MTV's programming remains music-oriented (as the network's publicity people are eager to point out), but two-thirds of its prime-time programs do not directly involve music. MTV has been showing its own version of "The Dating Game" ("Singled Out"); swimsuit editions of its fashion show, "House of Style," and documentaries on 20-something sex ("Sex in the 90's"). Also filling up central programming hours are two real-life soap operas ("The Real World" and "Road Rules"), sketch comedy ("The State"), two sports shows ("Sandblast" and "MTV Sports") and an experimental animation program ("Aeon Flux"). And until recently, reruns of "My So-Called Life," the high-school drama that was canceled by ABC, ran on MTV as frequently as some videos.

All of this raises one crucial question: Why isn't music enough for a television network?

In January, MTV's sister station, VH1, tried an experiment. It removed the hyphen between its H and its 1, geared its music toward a younger audience and took on the slogan "Music first." Music, which had accounted for anywhere from 60 to 80 percent of VH1's programming in a given week, suddenly filled 90 percent of the air time. As a result, the 10-year-old channel got its lowest ratings in years, said a television-industry executive, although VH1 denies this.

The problem with music-video channels is that they don't fit neatly into television's infrastructure. A station needs viewer commitment if it wants good ratings and big sponsors, and it accomplishes this with half-hour and one-hour shows that run every weekday or once a week. Three-and-a-half-minute videos are a good length only for viewers who are trying to avoid commercials during a program on another station. Music television was tailor-made for the restless channel surfer; now it wants to find a way to still the restless channel surfer.

Originally, MTV had no competition. But now there are numerous other stations playing music for most of the day -- in Manhattan, it's four or five (VH1, the Box, TNN, BET and, on some cable systems, MuchMusic USA) -- and a slew of public-access music shows. Even someone looking to watch only videos ends up channel-flipping to find the best one. The simplest way to capture a target audience is for a station to divide its programming into special-interest segments (which advertisers love): half-hour blocks of rap, alternative-rock or nostalgic videos, for instance. But target marketing is not enough; a music channel must also develop its own personality.

For MTV, this has meant clever promotional clips, smug hosts and quick edits that create the impression of a hip, up-to-the-minute channel, in touch with the reputed cynicism and short attention span of today's youth but in finding its personality and its audience, MTV has discovered that the viewers it was after all along were not music consumers but young consumers. Music was just a way to lure them.

We are entering a multimedia age in which one box with links to thousands of specialized services might one day provide a person with all the tools and resources needed to hunt and gather entertainment, information, education, merchandise, even friends. MTV, still operating under the 1980's ego-greed system, doesn't want to be confined to just one specialized corner of a vast landscape of choices. It wants to be the only service young people need. It has the entertainment, of course. It also provides information and education with its news shows, specials on safe sex and AIDS and interviews with politicians.

POWER AND THE MONEY

MONEY AND THE POWER

MINUTE AFTER MINUTE

HOUR AFTER HOUR

LYRICS FROM A POPULAR MTV VIDEO IN AUGUST '95

Oh my God, this show was like the death rattle of MTV. They have no idea what their audience is anymore. I seriously believe that 'MTV' will be dead within a year or two, at least re branded as a reality TV/celebrity network, maybe they'll keep the MTV name though.

Does Viacom really need 3 faux music reality/celebrity tv networks with VH1 and CMT doing the same thing?

Good news is that as of now MHD plays mostly concerts, specials and videos in HD from MTV/VH1/CMT but Im sure that will change too..

and Ive noticed on my GF's comcast cable that theres different VH1s and MTVs that actually do music..

Music videos just seem to be a dead art in general. Fuse and MTV2 play more regular programming than videos. Even VH1 Classic plays a few hours of videos and lots of reruns of Behind The Music and Storytellers.

Music videos just seem to be a dead art in general. Fuse and MTV2 play more regular programming than videos. Even VH1 Classic plays a few hours of videos and lots of reruns of Behind The Music and Storytellers.

Directv has a regular show on the 101 (channel 101) called Havoc on the 101, where they play videos for an hour, but it costs money to request a video (text message charges) and have your chat put up on the screen.

Was that the one where Poison played despite grunge having hit (I think Nirvana played that show too) and hair metal being completely dead? And then managed to completely mangle 'Talk Dirty To Me' so bad that they had to restart the song?

And yeah, the VMAs haven't been worthwhile since they moved from NY to Miami. The Radio City Music Hall ones were great.

It wasn't that they mangled the song. They were playing a completely different song (Unskinny Bop, IIRC) when CC Deville, fucked up on God knows what on that particular night, started doing the riff for Talk Dirty To Me instead, so Bret Michaels called an audible and they did that.

It wasn't that they mangled the song. They were playing a completely different song (Unskinny Bop, IIRC) when CC Deville, fucked up on God knows what on that particular night, started doing the riff for Talk Dirty To Me instead, so Bret Michaels called an audible and they did that.

Didn't Stern do Fartman at that show or was the the Movie Awards?

Kanye Calls Out Britney

“I can’t believe she would perform. She hasn’t had a hit record in years,” he said, angry that MTV didn’t invite him to open the show. “Maybe my money’s not right. Maybe my skin’s not right.”

The ‘Jesus Walks’ star told US Weekly:

“Honestly, I really don’t care. I don’t give a fuck about Britney performing.”

“I should have opened the MTV awards because ‘Stronger’ is the number one album in the country,” he said.

“It just shows you that you have to do shit to get ratings, and maybe they feel like they will get more ratings with Britney.

“Britney’s song isn’t as good as ‘Stronger,’” Kanye complained. “This is some bullshit, and I don’t really care.”

http://www.popcrunch.com

Lulz.

Keep playing the race card. Especially for awards no one cares about.

God, I hate it when people play the race card. And didn't Britney have a song called "Stronger" a few years ago as well? :lol:

I've never heard Kanye's version, but its probably just as bad, if not worse than anything Britney did, he's the most over-rated rapper, or performer in general of the past 5 years.

At least BTM and Storytellers are MUSIC related. I don't mine an hour or two of music followed by some programming such as that and then more music.

I'd say Linkin Park is more emo-rap than Gym Class Heroes. Although I haven't heard much of GCH, so that might just be me. But yeah, emo-rap is pretty much the worst thing ever.

At least BTM and Storytellers are MUSIC related. I don't mine an hour or two of music followed by some programming such as that and then more music.

They also play lots of movies and the various VH1 top 100 countdowns and the I Love The 70's/80's/90's. I miss when they had The Alternative on for like 3 hours every Sunday and when they would put on old episodes of YO! MTV Raps.

I've never heard Kanye's version, but its probably just as bad, if not worse than anything Britney did, he's the most over-rated rapper, or performer in general of the past 5 years.

This is an inaccurate statement.