TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luke-o

Levels you hate in game you love

This was something I was thinking of while I was playing Mario Bros 3. You know those levels that when you get to them you just think, "Urgh.."

Labrynth Zone in Sonic 1 - I detest most underwater levels, but this one especially.

Any Airship levels in Mario Bros 3 - Constatnly on the edge of my seat because I'm so panicky that I'm going to die and have to do this AGAIN.

The "Don't go into the dark areas" part of Gears of War - Mainly because this is the part I never get past and I start the game again playing it withsome else. I must have played the start of that game about 30 times.

Share some of yours.

Any time any sort of action/adventure game stops everything to make me go through a damn maze. I call it Golgo 13 syndrome, but I've seen it many times, and I never understand the point. This was especially prevalent back in the NES days (think Friday the 13th, Fester's Quest, and so on) but still pops up all the way to today, like when various first-person shooters suddenly switch from bigass battles to a confusing Wolfenstein 3D-esque maze setup. If I want to painstakingly map out my progress through a labyrinth, there are plenty of dungeon-crawling RPGs out there, don't make me blunder through something like that in a game where the object is to blow shit up.

Each NES Ninja Gaiden game has a specific part towards the end of the game where you have to cross small moving platforms while trying to avoid flying creatures and guys walking back and forth on said platforms.

The final tower level in Battletoads...fuck you, game!

The underwater level in TMNT

The first 3-4 levels of Brute Force for Xbox, The Bezerker parts of Gears of War. They aren't hard, just annoying.

The swimming stages of Ninja Gaiden Black, The first couple of stages of Perfect Dark Zero. had no idea it was actually a cool game until recently because the first few stages suck so hard.

Lots of games do that thing where the difficulty suddenly ramps WAY up on a particular level. The first Castlevania, who could forget the part in level 4 when you get outside and suddenly those goddamn birds swarm you, and drop hordes of hunchbacks that fill the entire screen and killed you dead in like five seconds. Or in Resident Evil, when you go back to the mansion and suddenly all the zombies have been replaced by those nasty-ass green monsters that literally tear your head off. Or in Hitman 2, where you went to Japan and suddenly a fairly easy game turns into a sniper-filled nightmare where you'll be randomly shot dead from miles away with no chance of dodging.

There were SEVERAL parts where I wanted to tell Battletoads to go fuck itself. Most of the racing sequences, especially where in the last couple levels they got damn near impossible, throwing obstacles at you faster than your average Sonic game. But yeah, the final tower was the worst, even with a game genie and the best cheats possible I still couldn't beat it.

I hate it in any game where they space out the save/continue points too sparsely, so that if you die you gotta spend half an hour just getting back to where you were. Lots of the final dungeons in various Final Fantasy games are like that, where they've got like one save point in this massive level, and the random enemies wandering around are so strong that you're more likely to get killed by them than the last boss. One big example was Castlevania III, where if Dracula killed you, you had to go WAY back through the level just to get to him again.

Or in Hitman 2, where you went to Japan and suddenly a fairly easy game turns into a sniper-filled nightmare where you'll be randomly shot dead from miles away with no chance of dodging.

Ha! That reminds me of the Market Garden (Was it Market Garden? I think it was...) level in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. God, that was just atrocious. You couldn't move without a Nazi sniper nailing you in your forehead, half the time they are firing THROUGH the roof due to clipping errors, making them unhittable to you, and God help me if there isn't a damn Kraut in every Dutch closet. I gave up on the game then and there. Other frustrating levels:

Xen in Half-Life: These were just irritatingly bad. Not really tough, but after having such a great game turn into a jumping puzzle was frustrating.

Any British Mission in Call of Duty: I really like Call of Duty, but man if the British levels didn't absolutely blow ass. Daytime Pegasus Bridge was stupid as hell and the cliche spy mission were even worse. After having a pretty well-paced chase scene in the American Campaign, we get a stupid Panzerfaust-fest for the second one, along with a ridiculous "Shoot down the Stukas!" objective. So, so horrible...

The Warriors, the part where you have to run away from a truck chasing you down. You have to like time when you press the buttons cause if you don't the truck runs you down.

This was something I was thinking of while I was playing Mario Bros 3. You know those levels that when you get to them you just think, "Urgh.."

Labrynth Zone in Sonic 1 - I detest most underwater levels, but this one especially.

Any Airship levels in Mario Bros 3 - Constatnly on the edge of my seat because I'm so panicky that I'm going to die and have to do this AGAIN.

uuuuggggghhhh... you jut named two of the worst levels i have ever played in. I hate those with a passion. I HATE seeing Sonic drown!

When Sonic 2 came out, I remember throwing fits at the second to last level of the game. It was like a warship or something. Fucking platforms.

Goldeneye's Jungle Zone on the max difficulty was a pain in the ass for me.

And I second the hate for Labyrith Zone for Sonic 1. I played it recently and that shit was fucking hard even now.

not a "level" so much, but I don't care for the 65,000BC part in Chrono Trigger

Any particular part? I found the jungle area a bit annoying because it's hard to tell where certain paths begin/go, but otherwise no problems.

Tyranno Lair?

I would have nominate...

-Virtually every auto-scrolling level ever. Having to pick, for example, an upper/lower path to take and then finding out you're about to be crushed/scrolling off the screen to death can be a real annoyance in an otherwise fun game.

-God of War 1: Hades, and any level in it where there was a lot of platforming, because said platforming controls were just sloppy and lame.

-Halo series: those levels with The Flood? Yeah, those.

-Sonic Advance/Rush series: the levels with bottomless pits

-The bug-hunting quests in Zelda: TP.

-The timed watering quest in Zelda: Wind Waker.

-Any game where you have a long, boring, unskippable cutscene before a really tough boss, and then when you die you have to go through it over, and over again.

Every water level in the Sonic series is the suck except for Hydrocity. In fact, Labyrinth Zone isn't nearly as bad as the water level in Sonic Rush, IMO. There's parts where these balloons float to the top and explode, and without perfect timing of jumping off and flipping to the right with R, you'll either fall to the bottom or be hit by the explosion. Screwing up too much either way can often lead to drowning. Oh, and then there are the pits. Lots of pits. So many ****ing pits. It's bad enough it's a water level without ***-**** *****-****ing ******* pits, too.

Water boards are Hell...

Speaking of which..

This topic begins and ends with the Water Temple

in the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time

even with the strategy guide that level was pure hell

i can play it by memory now...but I will always for get about that last

switch at the end under that one section where you have to put on your Iron

Boots to find it and be able to get to the boss Room

Am I the only person around who beat the Water Temple, no guide, and didn't think it was the worst thing ever?

Friggin' long, though.

Yea..that's the thing that bothers me the most...it's sooooo Long...

And it's like in the middle of the game and you still have 2 more dungeons and Ganon's Castle left

I will say this...

I can beat Ocarina of Time now by Memory..

No way in the Hell I can get through the first part of Twilight Princess with some kind of guide..

That Obligatory Stealth Level(s).

I guess it's to add "variety" to the gameplay.

However, game designers need to recognize that gamers don't want stealth unless they're playing as, oh, Solid Snake or Sam Fisher or something.

If you must have it in other games, we want to able to break a ******-****er's neck at least. None of this run/hide, then get caught and killed/thrown back into a poorly-guarded cell with the same escape hole you already made there.

I'm talking to you too, Aunoma.

The "Don't go into the dark areas" part of Gears of War - Mainly because this is the part I never get past and I start the game again playing it withsome else. I must have played the start of that game about 30 times.

I honestly didn't find this part to be too bad. It's just a matter of shooting the propane tanks and never dawdling if an area isn't super brightly lit. However, playing it co-op it annoyed the hell out of a friend, who kept getting his ass killed.

I was coming in here to say the Water Temple, but it looks like I'm totally beat to it.

I really didn't care for the Water levels in Super Mario 64. Didn't enjoy em too much.

I guess my #1 is the damn entire Level 8 in the original Super Mario. I love the shit out of that game, but FUCK THAT FINAL LEVEL.

I hate stealth levels. I don't like them in the Legend of Zelda games (Ocarina, Wind Waker) since I like to run a lot.

I hate levels with really limited time. There are certain challenges like in the Gran Turismo license levels where you have to be precise.

I agree with the above two posts. I nearly quit San Andreas when it came to the flying levels.

I did quit. I'm on some flying mission and said, fuck this. I think the last two hours of playing time is me jacking Harleys and painting them over and over.

Actually I hate stealth levels too, I was playing through Paper Mario 64 the other day and let out a massive groan when I had to do a Peach stealth mission.

I agree with Lushus on the underwater level in TMNT. Fuck that level hard.

The dig for the key to the forrest in FF7. Took me fucking forever the first time I did it, and took me fucking forever everytime after that. It just ruined the pace of the game, which wasn't quick at the best of times.

I don't like the GTA games, but my hatred for it was solidified when I had to do the remote control plane mission.

I agree with the above two posts. I nearly quit San Andreas when it came to the flying levels.

This is probably something we can all agree on. I remember this well, I spent about 8 hours just doing this over and over trying to do it. I went for some breakfast, decided to give it ONE last chance, and wouldn't you know it, I completed it.

I agree with Lushus on the underwater level in TMNT. Fuck that level hard.

The difficulty for that level is way overrated. The only hard part is that area completely covered by the electric seaweed, and it takes 15 seconds. Now, later in the game, in the sewers of the big city, the annoying jumps really aggrivate me. Especially when you go to jump, only for an enemy to attack you mid-air, causing you to fall into the water below and take you all the way back to the beginning.