TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

The year's half over

I'm gonna write up a review/explanation for why I think Antics by Interpol is an early candidate for AOTY along with a few other notables in a while, until then.......

What's yer picks?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I haven't gotten the new DEP yet, but that will probably end up being my favorite.

I've heard the new DEP, it's pretty good. Seems to have the ability to have more of a broad appeal than their earlier works too. Problem is while it is good, there are a lot of flaws to it that I've picked up on in the first few listens.

I don't know if anyone else here has heard it, but my favorite album this year was AMEN-Death Before Musick. It's so angry, I love it. I don't usually like these modern day punk bands, but this CD is awesome. Apparently this album was supposed to get a major label push, but the label gave them $250,000 to record the CD, then decided to drop them during the recording and made them pay back the $250,000 that they already spent most of on the album. Then the whole band quit to go nu-metal which left Casey Chaos to have to turn down the one time only offer to open for the reunited Sex Pistols. Casey plays all the instruments, though, so the band leaving doesn't take anything away from the album. They put on an amazing live show too.

My other favorites from this year so far are Clutch's Blast Tyrant which is probably their best work since the self titled and Brides of Destruction which isn't great, but it's a cool album. I downloaded the new Megadeth yesterday, I have only listened to it once so far, though, so I can't say anything about that yet.

Warren Haynes - Live at Bonnaroo.

A solo accoustic (and a couple of solo electric songs) album live from the second morning of last years Bonnaroo Festival. Incredible album.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
My other favorites from this year so far are Clutch's Blast Tyrant which is probably their best work since the self titled

Whaaaaaat? I think it's alright, but Pure Rock Fury is way better. "Careful With that Mic" is still putrid shit, but the rest of that album is a tight exercise in hard rock. The new one reminds me of an album better named "Pure Rock Fury 2: Not quite as good as the original." I suppose that's more arguable than calling it better than Elephant Riders, though. Now that's just silly.

They were a little too drunk on this cd, and not quite stoned enough, I don't think. This album is intended for the beers you don't really remember drinking, and that's about it.

1. Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose

2. TV On The Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes

3. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free

4. Mirah - C'mon Miracle

5. Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles

Probably TV on the Radio's full-length for me, though I really haven't heard enough of this year's output to judge. Van Lear Rose isn't a bad call either, though it's not my favorite. The new Modest Mouse has been another highlight.

I'd go for "The Volunteers" by OneLineDrawing, which is a beautiful collection of songs, but the new 3 Colours Red album, "The Union Of Souls" could well be up there in a few more listens. "You Are The Quarry" by Morrissey would round out the top 3.

Guest FrigidSoul
Unless Axl's being a penis (yet again...), Chinese Democracy

How can you vote an album that hasn't even been released?

Anyways, my choice would be Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden

The Godsmack EP is awesome... hmm... also points go to Modest Mouse and Franz Ferdinand (listened to both on Rhapsody the other night, both were tremendous).

The Godsmack EP is awesome

damn...dont get much more wrong than that...

Which is odd, because those other two picks are very solid. I am at a logical disconnect.

i've still got a lot of catching up to do...

and i've got a party to throw:

(every year i compile a top 10.

and throw a two night listening/discussion party...

good times)

but here are the early contenders:

interpol . antics

xiu xiu . fabulous muscles

the walkmen . bows and arrows

modest mouse . good news for people who like bad news

of montreal . satanic panic in the attic

the streets . a grand don't come cheap

madvillain . madvillainy

on!air!library! . on!air!library!

franz ferndinand . franz ferdinand

magnetic fields . i

blonde redhead . misery is a butterfly

cex . maryland mansions

... and if the new tom waits gets out by year's end.

The new God Forbid album was pretty damn good...as was Unearth

Im anxiously waiting both Shadows Fall and Lamb of God's new cd's as well...

Guest Anticrombie
Unless Axl's being a penis (yet again...), Chinese Democracy

How can you vote an album that hasn't even been released?

Anyways, my choice would be Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden

Because Axl told me that Chinese Democracy was going to be the single greatest contribution to mankind in the history of our existence.

Good enough for ya?

Guest FrigidSoul
Good enough for ya?

No. The album is just a music fairy tale. Its probably a big inside joke created by Axl to see how many people really believe he still works.

This new Fiery Furnaces album, Blueberry Boat, is pretty wonderful. Need to listen to it more before I can call it "album of the year thus far" or whatever, but yeah.

If Wilco's a ghost is born didn't have "Less Than You Think" on it, I'd rank it fairly high.

This new Fiery Furnaces album, Blueberry Boat, is pretty wonderful. Need to listen to it more before I can call it "album of the year thus far" or whatever, but yeah.

If Wilco's a ghost is born didn't have "Less Than You Think" on it, I'd rank it fairly high.

That's two albums I need to get. Didn't even know Fiery Furnaces were releasing another album so soon.