TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWE Fires Rikishi

WWE released former intercontinental champion and 2-time tag team champion Rikishi yesterday. Rikishi had been out of action with an ankle injury and there were those in the company that felt he wasn’t exactly hurrying to return as quickly as he could have due to the fact that he had a high downside guarantee and thus made just as much money not working as he would have working. There was also a recent incident where he appeared on an independent show, which I was told was not cleared with the office beforehand. I also know that the company had wanted him to lose some weight so that they could possibly change his gimmick, but he hadn’t done so. Talk of him being released as soon as he was cleared to wrestle, which he was about a week ago, has been going on for a while now. It has finally happened.

credit: PWInsider

Guest Soylent Green Is People

Rikishi is a decent opening match act to get the live crowds warmed up, but he's been injured more often than not for several years now, he hasn't been at all relevent since 2000 and i'm sure there's better things/talents the WWE can spend their money on, so it's no big loss. Before seeing this topic i had forgotten Rikishi was still with the company anyway.

He was a great babyface in 2000, but they turned him heel which just basically rail roaded the rest of his career.

Can't really say he'll be missed since he hasn't done anything intresting since...forever.

Guest MikeSC
Maybe TNA will pick him up. Hopefully if he comes to TNA he gets a new gimmick. The ass thing is so 1998.

TNA is that current?

I figured they were still stuck in 1995 mode.

-=Mike

Guest Fook

Keep Scotty.

Aside from that ridiculous worm, he's a pretty decent worker. He just needs a gimmick change.

Rikishi was cool in 2000, but this doesn't really surprise me as his act has been stale for well over a year. I definitely see him surfacing in TNA as soon as his injury heels up. Maybe he can team with little brother Ekmo as the new Samoan Swat Team!

Guest Choken One

Rikishi likely was the only guy in the last 5 years to ever go "Im injured. Perhaps I should let it heal".

Rikishi isn't as offensive as Hardcore, Gunn, Heidenrich, Kenzo are...

Rikishi, once upon a time was a very capable worker when he was in the 350-420 range and had some really good matches in 2000 when he literally was the Eugene of that time period. (i.e CRAZY OVER due to some quirk that the rest of the roster didn't have and was fan loving).

TNA likes rejects, So Rikishi will likely work some indy dates and pick up a spot with TNA.

they should have gave Scotty 2 Hotty his walking papers also

That's pretty harsh. Scotty 2 Hotty got neck surgery so he could continue to provide money for his kids.

I'm rarely in this folder often, but I think this is sad news. Rikishi is no doubt a great guy and I hope he gets work elsewhere.

For his weight, he was tremendous in 2000 and we shouldn't forget that.

I'm rarely in this folder often, but I think this is sad news. Rikishi is no doubt a great guy and I hope he gets work elsewhere.

IMO, he did this to himself.

Too much heat in the last year or so. Not just with this ankle thing, but in previous months, you know - the whole laser eye surger thing, etc.

Good. Now get rid of Suzuki and Heidenreich while you're at it.

Am I the only who thinks Suski isn't that bad?

I don't think he's that bad. Yeah, he sucks as the wrestler. But his gimmick is so over the top and goofy. He's kind of like the second coming of the Berzerker.

they got rid of the kish? good now if they get rid of vince and steph theyll be on the right track. they might even be like they were in 1995.

Yes, because the family that owns the company will fire themselves. Yeesh.

Anyways, onto the topic at hand, I don't think it was really the heel turn that did Rikishi in, but it's the way everything after the fact happened. Had they kept him as a killer heel with the right motivation to injure Austin, it could have worked. Having him become Triple H's lackey made him look like less of a star than he was at the time, and he never recovered. The fact that he never freshened up his gimmick also hurt him greatly. As for the TNA Samoan Swat Team idea, that was an idea I felt should have happened in WWE when they ditched Jamal and needed something for Rosey to do. I don't think it would be that bad, personally. 'Kish isn't a great worker these days, but it would be nice to see him not making a living off his fat ass and dancing around the ring again.

I'm happy it happened. His place has been taken by guys like Kidman and Londodn, who are hungry and are eager to perform. If they got rid of Billy Gunn, it means we would be seeing the FBI on SD! on a regular basis.

I'm happy it happened. His place has been taken by guys like Kidman and Londodn, who are hungry and are eager to perform. If they got rid of Billy Gunn, it means we would be seeing the FBI on SD! on a regular basis.

Billy Gunn hasn't even been seen on Smackdown for quite a while, minus the London/Kidman celebration.

So if you got rid of Billy Gunn on Smackdown, there'd be more room on Velocity for... A second FBI match???