• Duran Duran
    • Violent Femmes
    • The Clash
    • The Smiths
    • Oingo Boingo
    • Culture Club
    • Tears for Fears
    • Someone else

There are a ton of different bands that I would've voted for had they made the list, none of them were on there though. I think that the bands that consistantly made the best music in the decade were Metallica, Megadeth, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Slayer, and a few other bands were pretty good as well.

Though it's not included, Cabaret Voltaire, an obscure industrial group (and major pioneers) that I have mentioned before, were the best band in the 80's, IMO

As for others

Depeche Mode

New Order

The Smiths

Front 242

Skinny Puppy

Mantronix (Electro-Funk/Hip Hop)

The Three O'Clock (Neo Psychedelic)

Coil (Early Industrial/experimental)

Talking Heads

Psychic TV (also early industrial, at least until they did shitty acid house)

Blancmange (pretty good synthpop)

Public Enemy

Run DMC (well duh)

Afrika Bambaataa (one of the definative hip hop DJ's)

Butthole Surfers (80's Surfers is the best their is)

Cocteau Twins (excellent 80's dreampop)*

*As you can probably see, I'm not much of a Metal fan. Sorry, just my personal taste. It's probably a first though; a guy who posts on the Smartmarks who doesn't care too much for metal. I do enjoy a little, but usually in moderate amounts. Please don't hate me.

I guess we're talking about pop bands here.

Personally, I'm a fan of the early 80's New Romantic movement. Human League, Spandau Ballet, ABC and countless others resurrected meaningful sound from the ashes of disco.

Tears For Fears is highly underrated in America. Their work progressed steadily through the 80's. "Seeds Of Love" is an absolutely beautiful album.

The Smiths are #1 with a bullet on that list, with New Order close behind. London Calling was released in December 1979, and I can take or leave the Clash after that.

The list is representative of what many people remember of the 80s (synth, pop, and sap), but not of what the music was really like. Prince, the Smiths, and the Pixies are my stunningly controversial favorites for the decade, with Tom Waits and U2 riding shotgun.

That's a pretty awful list you've given. Of them I'd only contemplate The Smiths and New Order as being deserving as being on this kind of list. Prince, Michael Jackson, U2, Guns N Roses, Madonna, Talking Heads and so many others are far more deserving to be on this list than the rest of them

Prince, Michael Jackson, and Hall & Oates.

I was also a mark for NKOTB and Milli Vanilli. Sue me.

Also, Stevie Wonder must get a mention for "I Just called to say I Love You."

I believe Star Ocean was referring to mainstream pop 80s music that you usually here on retro 80s channels...not stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden, GNR and Slayer...shoulda been more specific, sure, but it seemed pretty obvious to me what 80s music she was referring to as I entered this thread...

anyway, off of this list, can't go wrong with Duran Duran with Rio, Hungry Like The Wolf and THE REFLEX~!