TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

DIMEBAG DARRELL SHOT ONSTAGE IN COLUMBUS, OH

I am giving the local station a big FU today. Normally I never listen to the "hard rock" station anyway, but considering this tragedy I figured they would be honoring Dimebag, Pantera, Damageplan etc..today, at least for a good portion of the day. Well they proved that Clear Channel has final say, because the VJ would give a news update and then say, "we will play a few pantera songs, but we aren't going to dominate our programming with it" That is ONE THING, but the the shit they pulled, after each Pantera/DamagePlan song they would play some shitty song from some "hot new band" followed by the VJ having an orgasm over it. Oppurtunistic FUCKERS. Was it too much to take ONE DAY, or hell maybe just a 2hr block of programming and dedicate it to one of the pioneers of Heavy Metal over the past decade? Now I know why I stopped listening to FM Radio.....

Damn, I just started getting into metal a few months ago and Pantera was probably the main reason I did. This sucks. I can't say too much about Dimebag--and if I were it wouldn't be anything original... but, damn.

I forgot what a fucking great song "Cowboys From Hell" was...

:(

Ozzy Osbourne

"I'm absolutely beside myself with grief. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would do this.

"Dimebag was a dear friend of mine," Ozzy Osbourne said. "I'm absolutely beside myself with grief. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would do this. Pantera toured with me many, many times. I'll always remember the signed guitar that he gave me at my 50th birthday party. My heart goes out to Dime's family, his fans and the other innocent victims who were killed in this senseless tragedy. It's just terribly, terribly sad."

Bullshit -- no way Ozzy put several sentences together like that...

"I'm shocked at the amount of people saying "how could security and the club let this happen?"

I've gone to more then a few clubs where bands are playing over the years and never get checked at the doors for weapons. The usual is check for ID, tear my ticket stub or pay for the ticket at the door. Then you walk in after you get the bracelet saying you're over 21.

Next to never do I get checked for weapons unless I go to arena's. Not even the large out door shed shows do I get checked.."

yes it would be ridicuously easy at most smaller venues to do this..i had a long discussion with some people before a show during Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar tour how soemone could get away with it..hide a gun in your womans pocketbook take it out inside..most placed sisnt search the pocketbooks well

"Biggest loss to music since the death of Kurt Cobain. The guy probably blamed him for Pantera breaking up."

in a weird coincidence pantera and nirvana are linked in tragedy for me

in early 1994 saw nirvana at fitchburg state college with breeders and half-japaneese

the very next time i went to fitchburg state college for a concert...was the day Kurt's body was discovered to see Pantera and Crowbar..it was so weird to have all the rock stations playing nirvana and constantly talking about it and then being at the same place we just saw him play

I am giving the local station a big FU today. Normally I never listen to the "hard rock" station anyway, but considering this tragedy I figured they would be honoring Dimebag, Pantera, Damageplan etc..today, at least for a good portion of the day. Well they proved that Clear Channel has final say, because the VJ would give a news update and then say, "we will play a few pantera songs, but we aren't going to dominate our programming with it" That is ONE THING, but the the shit they pulled, after each Pantera/DamagePlan song they would play some shitty song from some "hot new band" followed by the VJ having an orgasm over it. Oppurtunistic FUCKERS. Was it too much to take ONE DAY, or hell maybe just a 2hr block of programming and dedicate it to one of the pioneers of Heavy Metal over the past decade? Now I know why I stopped listening to FM Radio.....

that just pisses me off even more

thats bullshit man

ah well, at least pantera hated the fucking radio anyways

from megadeth.com:

(if it hasn't been reported yet)

December 9th:

Dave Mustaine will be hosting the MTV Headbangers

Ball Tribute Episode for DamagePlan on December 10th

i wasnt gonna go through all 5 pages and check if this has been said yet

also, Lars Ulrich had some very heartfelt words:

This is unbelievable. To sit here and talk about Darrell in the past tense seems so wrong, so unfair, so unjust, I don't even know what to say. My heart goes out to Vinnie, to their families, to the other band members, and to the families and friends of the other people that were killed or injured, in this fucking senseless act of selfishness and stupidity.

In 1985 I was fortunate enough to meet both Darrell and his brother in Dallas on tour. The first thing me and my friend did as soon as that tour was over, was to head straight back to Dallas and hang out with Darrell and Vinnie for a long time, cuz they were the coolest muther fuckers that we had met after criss-crossing the states for three months. That was the beginning of a friendship that was anchored in love, respect, fun, outrageousness, music, booze, sweat, late nights, early mornings, hangovers, headaches, pounding eardrums, sore bodies... the list goes on.

There's a tendency in these fucked up moments to use the word "I" a lot and focus on one's own feelings of pity and shock... so instead let it just be known that thru these eyes Darrell was incredibly warm, open, fun, nutty, forthcoming, talented, embracing, unpretentious, accommodating and he always had a very attractive innocence about him that obviously made him never threatening and always welcoming.

Darrell and his brother were the cornerstone of musical adventures that were always groundbreaking, pushing boundaries, challenging to themselves and to their fans, respected by their peers and always true musicians' musicians, and today the rock world is worse off because of this untimely and senseless waste.

Much love and respect and thanks for letting me be a small part of your life and I know you are already having fun and throwing it down with Bon Scott, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jimi, Cliff B., and the rest of the musicians and troublemakers that you are hanging with so prematurely.

Lars

As a tribute to Dimebag I'll be listening to his 20 best songs on the way home for Christmas today:

1. Cowboys from Hell

2. Cemetery Gates

3. Walk

4. Fucking Hostile

5. Mouth for War

6. This Love

7. 5 Minutes Alone

8. I'm Broken

9. This Love

10. Domination

11. Becoming

12. Hollow

13. The Great Southern Trendkill

14. Revolution Is My Name

15. Strength Beyond Strength

16. A New Level

17. Suicide Note, Pt. 2

18. War Nerve

19. Floods

20. Drag the Waters

Cobain wasn't a loss in the respect that he was likely quitting anyway. Read his 'suicide note', which isn't a suicide note at all.

Nice forgery job, Courts.

UYI

Even if he was quitting (i've seen the note and know what you mean) his death was still tragic.

As a tribute to Dimebag I'll be listening to his 20 best songs on the way home for Christmas today:

1. Cowboys from Hell

2. Cemetery Gates

3. Walk

4. Fucking Hostile

5. Mouth for War

6. This Love

7. 5 Minutes Alone

8. I'm Broken

9. This Love

10. Domination

11. Becoming

12. Hollow

16. A New Level

17. Suicide Note, Pt. 2

18. War Nerve

19. Floods

20. Drag the Waters

"This Love" twice?

Really, what's the point of an insincere tribute? Which is what any hard rock station is doing, since Pantera is never played on the radio. Every Dimebag Darrell fan is better listening to their own music.

1. Cowboys from Hell

2. Cemetery Gates

3. Walk

4. Fucking Hostile

5. Mouth for War

6. This Love

7. 5 Minutes Alone

8. I'm Broken

9. This Love

10. Domination

11. Becoming

12. Hollow

16. A New Level

17. Suicide Note, Pt. 2

18. War Nerve

19. Floods

20. Drag the Waters

"This Love" twice?

hey, its a good fucking song

Here is a wallpaper I made to commemorate him... its not much but it is an actual photo I took back in the summer at Donnington.

Feel free to use it...

ripdimebag.jpg

Re: Radio

WAAF played Pantera a bit. When Reinventing The Steel came out, they played "Revolution Is My Name" like a motherfucker. They also played "Cemetary Gates," "Walk" (surprise, surprise), and a few other cuts off Cowboys and Vulgar now and then. I still think it's so sad to hear Mistress Carrie, of all people, completely lose it while on the air.

from Blabbermouth:

As has been widely reported in the media, Elektra/Atlantic recording group DAMAGEPLAN suffered a horrible tragedy at their show in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday night. Guitarist Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed, as was the band's head of security, Jeffrey "Mayhem" Thompson, an employee of the club, Erin Halk, and a member of the audience, Nathan Bray. Chris Paluska, a member of the band's management team who was serving as tour manager, was shot and is in critical but stable condition. John "Kat" Brooks, the band's drum tech, was also shot and is being released from the hospital today.

DAMAGEPLAN drummer Vinnie Paul issued the following statement:

"With all his greatness and accomplishments on the guitar, Dime will be missed more for his giving personality, charisma, caring for others, love and most of all his HEART!! Twice as big as the state of TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!! Dime gave it all every day to each and every one of us and our lives have forever been hollowed without him...Thanks to all of you for reaching out to us in this time of our immeasurable loss. REST IN PEACE BROTHER DIME!!!!!!"

The surviving members of DAMAGEPLAN issued the following joint statement:

"Jeffrey 'Mayhem' Thompson was not just a true part of the DAMAGEPLAN family, but part of the whole Dallas music scene. He was friend to all, with a great personality. He bent over backward to help us all with his trademark phrases like 'What can I do for you sir?' and 'Coming up!' He also stated his willingness to protect us, saying 'I'd take a bullet for ya,' and unfortunately did in defense of our lives. He truly lived and died for his friends and made the ultimate sacrifice, giving his life to save ours. For this we will never forget. You will be missed big man."

Cobain wasn't a loss in the respect that he was likely quitting anyway. Read his 'suicide note', which isn't a suicide note at all.

Nice forgery job, Courts.

UYI

Even if he was quitting (i've seen the note and know what you mean) his death was still tragic.

I'm not dismissing the tragic nature of his death. However, Cobain dying or not would have likely had the exact same impact on the music scene, as he was sick and tired of everything music-related.

Philip Anselmo's (SUPERJOINT RITUAL, DOWN, ex-PANTERA) friend "J" has posted the following message on the official DOWN forum in regards to the tragic death of DAMAGEPLAN/ex-PANTERA guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott:

"I don't have a big official statement. I do have a lot of inside knowledge on the PANTERA feud from Philip's side and tonight he gave me the green light to let everyone else in on what I know. He trusts me to do this, and I take 100 percent responsibility for anything that is inaccurate, but I'm confident you all know I'm not going to touch on this subject unless it's from the heart. He didn't even give me any specifics except for the final part of this post... he just wants me to tell people what I know to be true.

"Philip loved Darrell like a brother, always. They accomplished things together that most wouldn't even dare to dream. None of us can know what it's like to be riding such a big machine, it changes the face of music and brings joy millions of people's lives around the globe. The rewards are big, but the stress is unimaginable if things don't go perfectly. Yes, PANTERA broke up and there was a lot of shit-talking through the media. There are two people on this board who would periodically ask me about what's going to happen with PANTERA in the future. I told them each time that I don't know when, but I'm 100 percent sure that we will see PANTERA together again. I told them that when PANTERA does get back together, you will know somebody who never lost faith, not for a second. Why did I tell them this? Because I know Philip loves those guys and when he was ready, he would reach out to them and try to make it work again. I had the feeling that one morning (afternoon maybe), all the 'Cowboys From Hell' boys would just roll out of the rack and say 'Let's go!'

"Of all the time I've spent with Rex and Philip, I never badgered them about PANTERA, but the subject did come up every once in a while. As for Rex, he would refer to the state of things simply as 'silly nonsense.' All I ever got out of Philip was something like 'Nyaaaa... I just don't feel like sitting down and writing PANTERA riffs right now.' ... and that's it! No crazy accusations, name-calling, or carrying on. As a matter of fact, in the middle of all the heat, Philip described Vinnie as 'the perfect drummer' and that Vinnie could drum more perfect than a drum machine if he so chose. What he said of Dime, he also repeated tonight. 'The best of the best.'

"It's sad that the media would irritate the situation so much. Countless times, Kate and I would listen in on Phil doing interviews. Always, always, always, the jackals wanted PANTERA dirt. Sometimes Philip would give it to them, sometimes he would not. However every single time I was there, he expressed his love for, and wished luck to Vinnie and Dime but that was somehow left out of the final print more times than not. I was at Philip's house a few weeks ago and I informed him that I handle the official PANTERA site now, and he asked me if I talked to Dime. I said, 'No, when was the last time YOU talked to him?' With a sigh, he said 'Three years.' Not a 'Fuckin right 3 years' not a 'Yeah three years and it's gonna be three more'... but the dude was genuinely disappointed about the situation. I could tell... the time to patch things up was drawing near.

"There's more I want to share, but it's almost 5AM right now, and I just managed to hold myself together long enough to get that out.

"Philip isn't hiding out or waiting for the right moment to speak, he's in Texas right now searching for answers to this tragedy the best he can. There was one thing he asked of me, that I humbly bring to you all:

"'Darrell my brother. The best of the best.' — Philip H Anselmo" (click here to view photo of Dimebag and Philip)

darrellphilcopy.jpg

Tell me that doesn't tear you up.

Guest Vitamin X
I am giving the local station a big FU today.  Normally I never listen to the "hard rock" station anyway, but considering this tragedy I figured they would be honoring Dimebag, Pantera, Damageplan etc..today, at least for a good portion of the day.  Well they proved that Clear Channel has final say, because the VJ would give a news update and then say, "we will play a few pantera songs, but we aren't going to dominate our programming with it"  That is ONE THING, but the the shit they pulled, after each Pantera/DamagePlan song they would play some shitty song from some "hot new band" followed by the VJ having an orgasm over it.  Oppurtunistic FUCKERS.  Was it too much to take ONE DAY, or hell maybe just a 2hr block of programming and dedicate it to one of the pioneers of Heavy Metal over the past decade?  Now I know why I stopped listening to FM Radio.....

Really, what's the point of an insincere tribute? Which is what any hard rock station is doing, since Pantera is never played on the radio. Every Dimebag Darrell fan is better listening to their own music.

The man speaks the truth.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Last night; MTV2 Headbanger's Ball and Fuse's Uranium showed tributes to Dimebag.

Headbanger's had Dave Mustaine host and it was basically a call in show from various metal stars expressing their feelings and showing Pantera and DamagePlan videos non stop. Uranium was a repeat of a episode of Uranium that was heavily involved with Dimebag with the rest of DamagePlan during a record store signing. Then at 11:30; they aired classic Pantera and DamagePlan videos as well.

This is one of the biggest tragedies in music, much less the genre of Metal.

Dime was a flat-out innovator. His style was indescribable. I remember a friend of mine turned me onto Pantera in 91 when he gave me a compilation tape of Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display, and I was so blown away by what I heard, that tape stayed in my Walkman for at least two or three weeks straight. He gave a genre of music that was slowly decaying a few more minutes of vibrancy. Pantera was a band that challenged itself to get better, go harder, and get heavier with each album, and never rest on your laurels.

When I walked into work the day after he was killed and was told about it, I was in a state of shock. I loved the man's playing, his honesty, and to hear such words of praise from his peers gave me more pause. He was one of those kind of guys that struck me as the perfect person to hang out with and get drunk with and talk about guitars and amps and other bands all night long.

I was upset when Pantera did break up, but its not like I couldn;t see it coming from about a mile away, with all the things that were reportedly going on behind the scenes, rumors and mud-slinging. But I knew that one day, they would put all of those things to rest between them, and one of the best metal bands to come out of the late 80's/early 90's would rise from the ashes to crush all before them once again.

But that's not to be, now.

Rest in Peace, Darrell, and all of my well-wishes and condolences go out to the families of the victims in this tragic, tragic incident.

darrellphilcopy.jpg

Wow, that brings a tear to my eye.

Pantera along with Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth are what got me into metal when I was younger.

This whole incident sucks...

RIP Dimebag...

*plays Cemetary Gates*.......