TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darthtiki

Vikings cruise was allegedly a sex party

Vikings cruise was allegedly a sex party

David Chanen, Paul McEnroe and Kevin Seifert 

Star Tribune 

Published October 12, 2005 

Minnesota Vikings players are being investigated in connection with a lake cruise that turned into a wild sex party last week on Lake Minnetonka. The party became so out of control that crew members on the two yachts were offered money for sex and feared for their safety, law enforcement authorities and an attorney for the cruise company said Tuesday.

Head coach Mike Tice told reporters today that he's not happy about the allegations, while refusing to comment or confirm any details.

"I fashion these young men as an extension of my family," Tice said. "So as a father and a family man, you can probably sense how I feel."

The accusations come on the heels of a two-day retreat in which a code of conduct was at the forefront, the team is "on the same page" when it comes to standards for player conduct. He said he had discussed the allegations with team owner Zygi Wilf this morning.

"Incidents like these can either blow a team apart or pull a team together. It's my job to pull the team together," Tice said. "Obviously, our job is to get ready for Chicago and allegations like these don't make it any simpler."

Tice also said he has struggled with disciplinary measures in the past. "There have been instances in the past where I feel like my hands have been tied by contracts or union guidelines," he said. But he reminded reporters that the allegations were as yet unproven.

Tice said nothing specific about how many players were involved in the cruise, or who they were.

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper also would not comment on the allegations today.

"If you're not going to ask me a question about the Chicago Bears, then don't ask," Culpepper told reporters at Winter Park. "Playing in the NFL is tough enough without any distractions."

The Vikings are tied with the Bears for second place in the NFC North. The teams play Sunday at Soldier Field.

The excursion Thursday on two yachts owned by Al & Alma's Supper Club and Charter Cruises in Mound was organized by first-year Vikings safety Fred Smoot and possibly two other players, according to Stephen Doyle, the company's attorney.

At least 17 Vikings players have been identified as being on the yachts, he said. It was unclear how many were involved in sex-related activities.

At least 90 people were on the two yachts. The boats were ordered to return to shore just 40 minutes into what had been planned as a 3½-hour cruise after supervisors learned of the alleged behavior.

The crew members, including one who was 18, were "petrified" for their safety, Doyle said.

"The behavior was terrible," he said. "Vikings were absolutely participating. This was not a passive event for them. It was outrageous."

The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is investigating the case, after the boat company notified authorities about the players' alleged behavior.

No arrests have been made, and no charges have been filed.

The incident took place during the team's bye week; the Vikings didn't play Sunday.

Late Tuesday, Vikings officials issued a statement: "The organization has been made aware of the allegations involving our players and we take these allegations very seriously. We are working diligently to gather as many facts as possible. At this time, we have no further comment."

Attempts to reach Smoot and his agent were unsuccessful.

Doyle said behavior on the cruise included oral sex, masturbation and playing with sex toys.

A source with direct knowledge of the case said Tuesday that accounts of Vikings players having public sex on at least one of the boats matched with what witnesses had reported.

The source said that it appeared that the sex acts took place between consenting adults and that no felony-level crimes had been committed. The source said that it was likely that misdemeanor charges involving lewd behavior could be filed against some players within a week.

Stadium plan jeopardized?

The investigation comes as the Vikings' new owner, Zygi Wilf, was hosting a two-day retreat at Oak Ridge Conference Center in Chaska in part to establish a vision of how the team will operate under the new ownership group.

Wilf, made aware of the investigation late Tuesday, kept his plans to fly back to New Jersey and declined to be interviewed through a spokesman.

The Vikings also are lobbying for the Legislature to hold a special session to talk about building a new stadium.

But at a DFL Senate caucus Tuesday, Majority Leader Dean Johnson suggested that the team had hurt its chances with its poor record this season and the sex-party accusations.

"It's difficult enough to move ahead on stadiums and professional sports teams. I would suggest that the Minnesota Vikings not only have a better record on the playing field but after hours set a better role model for the people of Minnesota and our youngsters," said Johnson, DFL-Willmar.

Firm looked forward to Vikings

Doyle said that before the excursion, Smoot came to the charter company in person to work out details for the party and put money down for one of the boats. Someone else paid for the other boat.

Smoot, a highly sought-after free agent who signed a six-year contract worth $34 million in March, discussed party logistics with company employees, Doyle said.

The staff was excited about hosting the party and put floating purple balloons in the boats, he said. Alcoholic drinks and hors d'oeuvres were part of the fare for the guests, he said.

The party was initially designed to fulfill what is an annual obligation by a first-year player to throw a social event for any players and any friends and family members who want to attend, Doyle said. The cruise was to end at midnight.

Doyle declined to identify any of the players who boarded the boats.

Almost immediately after boarding, crew members noticed partially disrobed women walking around, he said. One employee opened a galley and three nude women popped out, he said.

Then the crew -- about five people on each boat -- saw women giving lap dances for money.

"Players were approaching the wait staff telling them they would be tipped if they danced," Doyle said.

The players started to become more aggressive, wanting to pour their own drinks and screaming at the bartenders, he said. Naked woman walked around without hesitation. They performed oral sex in the open, he said. Sex toys were strewn about, he said.

At some point, the yacht captains called each other to see whether similar activity was happening on both vessels. It was, Doyle said, recalling what he called eye-popping conversations he had with crew members.

"They [the captains] had to step around people who were having sex on the floor," he said. "They were thinking it couldn't be safe out in the middle of the lake. It was a petrifying scene."

A woman working as a hostess on one of the boats called Mound police about 7:30 that night to report possible prostitution, drugs and sex acts, according to police.

The boats had been cruising only for 40 minutes when the supervisors on shore were told of the party and ordered the captains to return.

When they got to shore, some women asked if they had stopped to switch boats, Doyle said. The guests departed in their limos without incident.

Public urination

Prior to boarding, at least one group in a limo urinated on Cathy Hough's lawn in Mound, according to Hough and police. She said she confronted the men. "I said, 'Excuse me, do you mind?' And they looked at me as if I was crazy," Hough said Tuesday. "One of them said, "It's only water, ma'am,' and he continued peeing. I said no, it's not."

She followed the limo to Al & Alma's, where the men got on board, and she reported the incident to police.

It is no longer under investigation because Hough could give only vague descriptions, said Mound Police Chief Jim Kurtz.

Doyle said Al & Alma's is a longtime family business that would never have allowed such behavior to take place on their boats. Doyle, contacted by Al & Alma's on Monday, said he was concerned that detectives hinted to him that the captains didn't have control and didn't act quickly enough.

The Sheriff's Office said it is investigating a report of alleged criminal conduct on the yachts. Sgt. Haans Vitek wouldn't say whether Vikings were involved. "It was a stag-party atmosphere on the boat with allegations of strippers and sexual conduct," he said. "We're still trying to sort things out at this time."

Said Doyle: "The staffers were really shook up. It sounded as if they were fending off people. It was just a scene."

Post away

The new owner is going to need to clean house with this team, like soon.

The Vikes are really fucked up in the heads it seems nowadays.

Hey now...

Nah, Randy seems like more of a smoking and fishing type of guy. All of the Vikes were probably bummed out that Moss wasn't there since he could hook'em all with a pound a piece.

Tony Kornheiser made a great point. The only reason people will be outraged over this is because the Vikings team is a mess on the field, and their lack of discipline off the field is a major culprit. The Cowboys got away with all kinds of shit like this because they were winning Super Bowls.

I also agree that this has to be the last straw for Tice and his staff. This team needs to be blown up.

Guest Vitamin X

Totally agreed with Precious Roy there. Although, as a fan of one of the Vikings' main rivals (if not THE main rival), I'd have to say this pretty much amuses me to no end.

Wonder if Darren Sharper invited Mark Chmura to the party...

The crew members, including one who was 18, were "petrified" for their safety, Doyle said.

Ah! I guess he was!!

The Vikes are really fucked up in the heads it seems nowadays.

I wouldn't exactly say it's a recent thing...

Totally agreed with Precious Roy there. Although, as a fan of one of the Vikings' main rivals (if not THE main rival), I'd have to say this pretty much amuses me to no end.

Wonder if Darren Sharper invited Mark Chmura to the party...

As a fellow cheesehead, I'm inclined to agree. However, I doubt that there were any underage babysitters there.

the Vikings really do have the most awful looking shag-carpet looking field I've ever seen...the Eagles old astroturf looks wonderous compared to that monstrosity...

I don't get the big deal behind this either. Didn't we learn in the late-'90s to separate job performance and private activity? Granted, the Vikings aren't good, but OMG they had a sex party on a boat -- it's not like they were boinking 10-year olds...

The reason this is a story is because the Vikings suck and them being unprofessional shitheads and having a coach that can't control the team is a big reason why, like someone said above. This attitude is affecting their on-field performance and has for years. If it was the New England Patriots doing this, nobody would care because it wouldn't matter.

On the plus side, it at least distracts the media for awhile from talking about how bad the Packers are.

I don't get the big deal behind this either. Didn't we learn in the late-'90s to separate job performance and private activity? Granted, the Vikings aren't good, but OMG they had a sex party on a boat -- it's not like they were boinking 10-year olds...

In front of the people doing their jobs. The Cowboys where at least smart enought to own a house, and do this in private.

I've kept my mouth shut for long enough about this team,

With the new owner coming in, new stadium in the works, and potential good team this season, i thought it would be an ok season.

Hell no, this team needs a serious overhaul before it loses it's dying fanbase for good.

Thank god i'm a Houston Texans fan, bitches.

Yeah, they're athletes and they have a lot of money, etc. But this isn't acceptable behavior, regardless of everyone involved giving their consent. They are representatives of their team and the city they play in. You don't get to go around having public sex orgies no matter who you are, sorry.

The reason this is a story is because the Vikings suck and them being unprofessional shitheads and having a coach that can't control the team is a big reason why, like someone said above.  This attitude is affecting their on-field performance and has for years.  If it was the New England Patriots doing this, nobody would care because it wouldn't matter.

On the plus side, it at least distracts the media for awhile from talking about how bad the Packers are.

The Patriots had their scandal back in 1990, when Lisa Olson (sportswriter) was basically harrassed and just shy of molested by players in their locker room. When it was brought to ownership's attention, Victor Kiam (aka the Remington dude and owner of the Patriots at the time) wrote it off as just boys being boys.

Of course, the Pats went 1-15 that year and that was right before Parcells came aboard.

The Patriots had their scandal back in 1990, when Lisa Olson (sportswriter) was basically harrassed and just shy of molested by players in their locker room.  When it was brought to ownership's attention, Victor Kiam (aka the Remington dude and owner of the Patriots at the time) wrote it off as just boys being boys.

Of course, the Pats went 1-15 that year and that was right before Parcells came aboard.

I mean in the present, when they have won three Super Bowls in the past four years.

Likewise, if Green Bay does this in the 60s, nobody bats an eye. They do it in the 80s, then there is a problem.