TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

That ebay spot is beyond tasteless. It's one thing to lose your respect for Benoit over what has gone down, it's another to make fun of it.

You're Welcome!

VIP EXCLUSIVE - Early-release article from PWTorch Newsletter #974...

Bruce Mitchell Feature Column

Headline: "Why?"

By Bruce Mitchell, Torch columnist

Originally Published: June 30, 2007

From Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter #974

Tough

Chris Benoit was tough.

Many said he was the toughest, best wrestler in the world these last twenty years. It was that toughness, that single-minded passion for the professional wrestling business, that made him a great performer.

He did whatever he had to do to get in the business. He hung around the back of the cold Edmonton arena to get wrestler autographs when he was just a kid. He bugged the wrestlers in Calgary to let him in the back. He got twisted around until the veins in his eyeballs popped in the famed Stu Hart Dungeon. He did whatever he had to do to get into the Stampede Wrestling he loved to watch, then he did whatever he had to do to have the best matches on their shows.

Never mind that he was too short. Never mind that his frame was too small. Never mind that he wasn't much for talking. What real tough guy is?

He modeled himself after the toughest, best wrestler in the world at his size, the Dynamite Kid. Never mind that the Kid, as mean an asshole as this mean business has ever seen, ended up bitter, destitute, and physically ruined. That is now. When he was a wrestler, the Dynamite Kid was tough and he was great. Benoit wanted that more than anything in his world. He learned to match the Kid move for move, dive for dive, muscle for muscle. Never mind that, for years and years, the big companies in the U.S. had no use for Benoit's act, tough or not, well worked or not.

Japan did, though, and the tape traders and newsletter readers caught on quickly to how great he was in the ring. Paul Heyman is a lot of things, good and bad, but he knows how to read and watch tape (you'd be surprised at the wrestling talent coordinators who don't) and he brought in Benoit to his Extreme Championship Wrestling company for a few appearances (until he screwed up Benoit's work visa - like I said, Paul is a lot of things.) Benoit became a part of the legend of ECW as their great wrestler who was still tough enough to be "Extreme."

Eric Bischoff needed wrestlers for his expanded World Championship Wrestling promotion. Chris Benoit did whatever he had to do to have the best matches on their shows too. He even left his wife and children to take up with the booker's wife, just like the booker wrote it.

The woman he left his wife and children for while he was having stiff, physical matches with her husband, Kevin Sullivan - who controlled the course of his career, was no ordinary housewife. Nancy Daus started performing in the wrestling business as a teenager in Florida Championship Wrestling as a nearly naked member of Kevin Sullivan's faux Satanic troupe of villainous wrestlers. She sold softcore photos of herself through the wrestling magazines. As she followed her husband from company to company and became part of some of the most infamously drug-ridden wrestling locker rooms of the day, she saw every excess pro wrestling had to offer.

Her marriage to Sullivan was contentious. He was controlling. They fought. Sometimes the police were called. Sometimes the police were called because of what Nancy did.

Friends of hers were happy, in the beginning, when she finally got away from Sullivan after all those years and took up with Benoit. Now she could finally relax.

She and Benoit got married and had a son, Daniel, who was diagnosed with Fragile X disease, something that requires constant care and attention. Benoit was tough there, too. He kept his son's condition quiet and went back on the road to practice his craft.

Caring for a child with a condition like this puts pressure on a marriage. My nephew is autistic. I've watched my brother and sister-in-law change everything about their lives to make sure he has the best chance to grow and live his life to his fullest ability. Neither of them is always on the road or under constant physical and mental pressure in the same way pro wrestlers are and it takes everything they have, working together all the time, to take care of their son. I can't imagine what it would be like for my nephew if they didn't work hard together as a team and as a marriage to help him.

Then there's the pressure of knowing that a child like this might need lifelong care and financial support. There are no pensions in pro wrestling, and insurance is expensive and hard to come by because of the physical nature of a pro wrestler's job.

Chris Benoit also had other children and an ex-wife to support. He made good money as a wrestler, but his financial obligations and pressure were enormous.

The Benoits fought over money. They fought over Chris's steroid and prescription pill use, the things he needed to stay tough in the ring. It was left to Nancy day-to-day to find the proper information and support for their son, an enormously hard and confusing job. Over time, she asked for a divorce and took out a restraining order on Chris, then changed her mind and took him back.

Benoit was tough. He kept their fights quiet and his family together.

Benoit's time at his job was pressure packed, too. The bookers still hated him, some of the top stars didn't think much of his style, and the entire atmosphere was chaotic. Benoit did what he had to do again and left the WCW World Title for World Wrestling Entertainment. He did what he had to do there too, because he was still too small, in stature and personality, to main event comfortably in a company that had historically promoted big man wrestlers.

He got bigger as his career got bigger. He got so big it was as if he was stuffed with muscle, like sausage over-stuffed into its casing. No one much criticized him for steroid or Human Growth Hormone use because he was really good in the ring, really talented, and there's this idea by some that only no-talwent muscleheads use the stuff.

His image and marketing reflected his toughness. He was called The Crippler and The Rabid Wolverine by the promotions he worked for. They never specified, though, who it was he crippled.

He hurled himself off the top rope and landed headfirst on so many opponents that Harley Race, the former wrestling champion who used the flying headbutt himself, and is also on anyone's list of wrestling tough guys, said he was worried about Benoit using the move so much. He said this after his own painful surgeries to repair the damage to his neck he incurred in performing this move.

Benoit didn't listen to Race. He was too tough, too busy tossing guys straight up and back on their heads, or getting tossed straight up and back on his own head in those beautiful German suplexes that helped make his matches so much fun to watch.

He tore his neck up. He tore his back up.

How many times did he land on his head? How many chairshots did he take? How many undiagnosed concussions did he have in all those years? What effect did those blows to the head have on him?

Benoit was too tough to let on.

He did whatever he had to do to for 23 years. He stayed on the road constantly, unless he was so badly injured it was simply impossible for him to get in the ring. When that happened he stayed home, made less money than he planned on, and, without the wrestling he excelled at, we now know things didn't go well.

He took pills. He took muscle enhancers. He drank. Once he made the comment while having a taste after a friend's funeral, "You know, before I got in this business I was completely straight."

It's amazing how many wrestlers have made that same observation through the years.

Chris Benoit made it to the pinnacle of his profession, winning the WWE World Title against the two top wrestlers in the company in front of a worldwide audience of appreciative fans. It was the peak of his career, a championship not given to him because he was the top draw and wrestler in the company, but because they wanted to honor his toughness and his consistently excellent ringwork.

Then his best friend in the business, Eddie Guerrero, with whom he shared so much through the years, died – just keeled over brushing his teeth the morning he was supposed to win the world title again. Benoit had seen his friend through international tours, through some of the best matches of their careers, through drug addiction, through losing and regaining his family, through the rough backroom politics of two companies who didn't quite want them on top of their shows, through his shaky time facing the pressures of carrying the Smackdown side of WWE as top star and World Champion, and now he was dead.

He watched as his friend's memory was exploited and besmirched by the company he worked for in the months that followed. He hated what they were doing to his friend's legacy but he was too tough to show it, too tough to let it stop him wrestling.

His wife Nancy told her friends Chris was never the same after Eddie died. Things were worse when Chris was home. They fought more intensely. Media sources have said he was paranoid to the point of delusion. She was worried but she wouldn't leave.

Benoit was tough still. He kept working at the same top level he always had, even though he was now 40 years old and his new bookers thought he was good for providing action in the middle of the shows but was not a main eventer they wanted to promote anymore. It was a few years after his WrestleMania win and he had already gotten that medal for career excellence. Now he was an afterthought to management, appreciated for his ability to mentor and coach younger wrestlers, particularly the job he did helping young wrestler MVP gain credibility and traction in his own career.

That didn't leave Benoit with much opportunity to make the top money again, even as the culmulative effect on his body and mind of all he endured grew and the window on his time as an active wrestler began to close. He was moved to the top of the third-ranked ECW brand.

Nancy's lifelong friend in business, Sherri Martel, died. His close friend and tag team partner in his early days in Stampede Wrestling, Biff Wellington, died.

His wife contacted him while he was on the road. He went home, murdered her and his son, and hanged himself.

That incredible scene at WrestleMania XX that so many serious wrestling fans from all over the world held close to their heart, a night where the wrestling business seemed reach all its potential as an artform as it honored two who overcame so much to show what the business could be at its best, was now left in ashes, the two principals dead, one's legacy chipped away by banal bad taste, the other's destroyed by a horrific crime of his own doing, two of the family members who celebrated with him in the ring murdered in horrific fashion.

Chris Benoit's hellish weekend damaged everyone who knew him, in whatever way they knew, in ways we are only beginning to understand.

Those who were left to live with the consequences have faced incredible rush of emotional revelations. The family, friends, and fans he left behind were left parodoxically with both more answers and more questions than anyone could bear.

Everyone involved in this horror, everyone who cared in some way about Chris Benoit and his wife Nancy, and now, particularly, his son Daniel, is haunted by this. His family is in grief and uncomprehending pain. The wrestlers who looked up to Benoit for his toughness, his greatness in the ring, and his self-possession in the locker room are left shattered and betrayed.

Vince McMahon and WWE have been thrown into a media cauldron that half, barely, largely (sometimes all at the same time) understands what happened, and been subjected to bouncing pupilled hustlers who see a chance to get back in, blowhard camera hogs for whom this horror is just another segment to tut-tut through, and those with pet causes to flog. WWE may now be getting served the bill for all the death and destruction this business has engendered. Their public reaction so far to this media avalanche have impressed no one except their most loyal base. Benoit's murder/suicide may have permanently damaged WWE business.

I know I feel that incomplete ache so many do. The phone rings, the television plays, another link to another article with someone else – a wrestler, a doctor, a reporter – with another theory that explains some of how it might have happened in the limited space available just keeps coming. The assault of anger, depression, and fruitless hope for enlightment and rational explanations follows. I can hear it in the voices of the people I talk to, people who have lived through these deaths again and again, and there's an emptiness there that there wasn't before.

At the center of all this is a word: Why?

Was it roid rage that drove Chris Benoit to murder/sucide? Did he go into a rage, kill his wife, and then do everything else in a haze of grief and depression? Or was it a premeditated act that his wife predicted to friends? Was it the brain damage from undiagnosed concussions? Was it the pain of twenty three years of getting smashed around a wrestling ring? Was it the prescription drugs the police found in the house? Was it a toxic relationship with a wife who grew to adulthood, like he did, around the excesses of an outlaw sport? Was there just a darkness in Chris Benoit, a darkness he kept hidden from most, until the days he didn't?

Or was it a deadly synergy of all of those, some of those, none of those?

And how could anyone kill a child?

I don't know. All I know is the toughest wrestler of this generation and his family were destroyed by all the pressures the life he chose put upon him.

I was watching FOX News when they mentioned that, and they went as far to say that he used the Crossface, without actually saying it. I'm not sure if that's because they aren't totally sure what it is, or if they don't know for sure, but they certainly implied that he used his wrestling finisher.

Remember.... Tabloids and other mags frequently miscall moves when captioning pictures of moves

I was watching FOX News when they mentioned that, and they went as far to say that he used the Crossface, without actually saying it. I'm not sure if that's because they aren't totally sure what it is, or if they don't know for sure, but they certainly implied that he used his wrestling finisher.

Remember.... Tabloids and other mags frequently miscall moves when captioning pictures of moves

On FOX News just now Shepard Smith was talking about it, said what I said before, and this time they were showing multiple clips of Benoit doing the Crossface in matches. They're talking about that, Debra, the family fights, and other stuff now.

From ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- In the days before pro wrestler Chris Benoit killed his wife and child and hanged himself, the couple argued over whether he should stay home more to take care of their mentally retarded 7-year-old son, an attorney for the wrestling league said Wednesday.

Authorities are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Chris Benoit, above, his wife and child.

"I think it's fair to say that the subject of caring for that child was part of what made their relationship complicated and difficult, and it's something they were both constantly struggling with," said Jerry McDevitt, an attorney for World Wrestling Entertainment. "We do know it was a source of stress and consternation."

McDevitt said the wrestling organization learned from the couple's friends and relatives that the Benoits were struggling with where to send the boy to school since he had recently finished kindergarten.

He also said Benoit's wife didn't want him to quit wrestling, but she "wanted him to be at home more to care for the kid. She'd say she can't take care of him by herself when he was on the road."

The child suffered from a rare medical condition called Fragile X Syndrome, an inherited form of mental retardation often accompanied by autism, McDevitt said.

Over the past weekend, authorities said, Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself with a weight-machine cable in the couple's suburban home. No motive was offered for the killings, which were discovered Monday.

Anabolic steroids were found in Benoit's home, leading officials to wonder whether the drugs played a role in the slayings. Some experts believe steroids cause paranoia, depression and violent outbursts known as "roid rage."

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., issued a news release Tuesday saying steroids "were not and could not be related to the cause of death" and that the findings indicate "deliberation, not rage." It also added that Benoit tested negative April 10, the last time he was tested for drugs.

Also Wednesday, Benoit's personal physician said the wrestler did not give any indication he was troubled when he met with the doctor hours before the start of the weekend.

Benoit had been under the care of Dr. Phil Astin, a longtime friend, for treatment of low testosterone levels. Astin said the condition likely originated from previous steroid use.

Astin prescribed testosterone for Benoit in the past but would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed the day of their meeting.

"He was in my office on Friday to stop by just to see my staff," Astin said. "He certainly didn't show any signs of any distress or rage or anything."

"I'm still very surprised and shocked, especially with his child Daniel involved," Astin said. "He worshipped his child."

District Attorney Scott Ballard said the autopsy indicated that there were no bruise marks on the child's neck, so authorities are now assuming he could have been killed using a choke hold. "It's a process of elimination," he said.

The boy had old needle marks in his arms, Ballard said. He said he had been told the parents considered him undersized and had given him growth hormones.

"The boy was very small, even dwarfed," Ballard said.

The Benoits' argument over their son was not the only friction in their marriage. Nancy Benoit had filed for a divorce in 2003, saying the couple's three-year marriage was irrevocably broken and alleging "cruel treatment." She later dropped the complaint.

Meanwhile, authorities in Georgia were investigating a link between Benoit and a Florida business that may have supplied him with steroids.

Prosecutors in upstate New York who have been investigating the company's drug sales said Benoit received deliveries from Signature Pharmacy and MedXLife.com, which sold steroids, human growth hormone and testosterone on the Internet.

Six people, including two of the pharmacy's owners, have pleaded guilty in the investigation, and 20 more have been arrested, including doctors and pharmacists.

"That's something that sounds like we ought to be investigating," Ballard told the AP on Wednesday.

A lawyer for MedXLife co-owner Dr. Gary Brandwein scoffed at allegations that his client's company sold steroids to Benoit.

"I've only read that in the paper. I have no direct information about that whatsoever," Terence Kindlon said Wednesday, adding that prosecutors in Albany County, N.Y., were trying to "distract everyone's attention from the fact that their case is disintegrating."

Brandwein, a 44-year-old osteopath from Boca Raton, Fla., has pleaded not guilty to six counts in New York state court related to the criminal sale of a controlled substance. He was accused of signing and sending prescriptions without ever seeing patients.

Telephone messages left for attorneys for Brian Schafler and Greg Trotta -- two other co-owners of MedXLife -- were not immediately returned Wednesday. The two men have pleaded guilty to felony third-degree diversion of prescription medications and prescriptions, admitting they helped get drugs in 2006 for customers in upstate New York who had no medical need for them.

McDevitt said the drugs found in Benoit's house were legitimately prescribed. "There's no question, none of these drugs are out there, none of these drugs came from Internet pharmacies," he said.

In addition to causing paranoia and explosive outbursts, steroids can also contribute to deep depression, according to experts.

"Just as you have the extreme high of when you're on steroids, you can get the opposite," said Dr. Todd Schlifstein, a clinical assistant professor at the New York University School of Medicine. "You can have a dramatic difference in mood swings. You can feel there's no hope, there's no future."

I think they're going to have a tough time selling that house.

It's worth close to a million right? You couldn't sell it for half that now.

Benoit's ghost isn't going to screw around with floating objects and moaning. Just one "get the **** out of my house!" and if you don't he'll crossface you to death in your sleep.

Well, if this arguing about his child's care was true, it makes me feel just a tiny bit better. It makes me think he maybe just snapped as opposed to being much more cold-blooded than it appears. Obviously not justifiable in any sense, but I don't think you can relate to being a parent of individual with mental retardation or one who is disabled and either needs 24 hr care or who's future is so uncertain, unless you are one. People all the time say they don't know what they'd do if something happened to their child, so maybe it's on the level of this where he snapped in the heat of the moment. I'm buying the killing of his son as his rationilization that he didn't want people taking care of him that didn't care about him (since he would be in jail) or possibly not well (PURELY speculation on my part).

Course, doesn't explain the tieing up of Nancy.

Guest Mos_Def

I think whats going on here for a lot of folks is the cold slap of idol worship. Quite frankly Benoit has been worshiped online for his tremendous skill, and somehow that was morphed into Benoit being some sort of great person because he so excelled at his craft (for years people would castigate the moral character of guys like Nash, HHH, HBK, Steph and exalt the likes of a Benoit)

Its such a dramatic shift to go from thinking someone was the greatest guy ever, to a cold blooded murder of his own family. You see that manifested by the fact that some here are trying to break their neck to deflect blame..."oh, it was because he couldnt cope with Eddy's death", "the road schedule was too tough", "he was having a bad day, give him a break!!! " People need to separate the man from the performer. He KILLED HIS OWN CHILD AND WIFE. Digest that.

Benoit, after committing such a heinous act, should have at least found the guts to turn himself in. That way he could have at least explained his actions, and out of the tragedy could have have arisen serious dialogue which could have hopefully effected change in a positive way. Whether it was mental illness, the effects of his personal decision to abuse his body which led to a mental breakdown, or whatever...at least he could have not taken the cowards way out.

We could have learned from this rather than further drowning this tragedy with speculation. He obviously didnt "snap", this was systematic execution of the people he was supposed to protect and hold dear.

Some random comments from superstars on Benoit via rajah.com:

Jillian Hall

Time to Speak

Well, by now the whole world knows of the horrible news that took place this week. With all of the comments and messages from people saying how sorry they are for our loss, I figured I would speak in general. I am 100% in agreeance with WWE and Mr. McMahon on completely erasing all tributes to Chris Benoit. While he had always been nice and polite to me and most of the WWE talent, what he did is completely disgusting and unforgiveable! This man who could have been a legend has demolished his reputation. My heart goes out to Nancy and the adorable Daniel and the family and friends they left behind!

It was on her myspace earlier and got pulled.

Apparently from Kurt Angle from kurtangletna.com:

"Kurt hopes that you will join him in extending condolences and prayers for the survivors of the Chris Benoit Family. This news is very sad for all of us that knew and loved Chris. It is a sad tragedy and we wish the best for the family members that have to deal with this situation and go forward from this."

I couldn't find it on the site though.

Well, if this arguing about his child's care was true, it makes me feel just a tiny bit better. It makes me think he maybe just snapped as opposed to being much more cold-blooded than it appears. Obviously not justifiable in any sense, but I don't think you can relate to being a parent of individual with mental retardation or one who is disabled and either needs 24 hr care or who's future is so uncertain, unless you are one. People all the time say they don't know what they'd do if something happened to their child, so maybe it's on the level of this where he snapped in the heat of the moment. I'm buying the killing of his son as his rationilization that he didn't want people taking care of him that didn't care about him (since he would be in jail) or possibly not well (PURELY speculation on my part).

Course, doesn't explain the tieing up of Nancy.

Yeah, tying up Nancy is the part that seems to get me know if we are looking at Daniel's situation. Hell, even if he choked her with his hands after a fight in a fit of "roid rage" then at least we have some reason for why he killed her. Now, unless Nancy made some comment that made Benoit snap, something like "I'm leaving and you can keep your retarded son"...something harsh that could send him over the deep end. Something that he would want her to suffer for. Then again, why she would say something like that about her own son is another story. Then you can factor in Benoit's mental state as of late.

But regardless of why he did it, his family's blood is on his hands and the legacy of one of the greatest in-ring technicians is forever tainted.

Muchnick brought up a good point.....And O'reilly Hoed him in typical O'reilly fashion....

Ugh..I hate O'reilly...Especially when i know he's jumping to conclusions

What was the Ebay piece? It's been removed

The one at the top of the page was a Chris Benoit action figure with a piece of string around its neck. It came with a stretcher and what looked like a body bag.

What was the Ebay piece? It's been removed

A Benoit figure with pictures of the figure with a rope around its neck and then various suicide scenes until it was stretchered off with a blanket over it.

Does anyone know who the 2nd texted co-workers is (sorry if this has been answered somewhere in this thread)?

The WWE.comnting of the texts shows that each begins with "C, S." No one else has reported this.

It's been clarified that Benoit spoke with 2 unidentified co-workers (not office people) over the weekend, and it is further explained that the texts were sent to these co-workers. One co-worker was reported as saying that Benoit said "I love you" at the end of the convo, and Chavo made it clear on air that he talked to Benoit and that Benoit told him those words. So we would know who "C" is even without it already having been reported that Chavo received curious texts.

But, who is "S"? This other person was ID'd as a frequent traveling companion, but there is no one on the SD/ECW roster whose name satisfies that, real name or otherwise. Was it an agent, maybe? I can't think of anyone.

And I find it weird that Benoit sent the same message to the same 2 people (according to wwe.com) multiple times from Nancy's phone. I can understand sending more than one just in case, but maybe he wanted to make sure it the sentiment was "hey, pay attention to this" without outright saying what he did/planned to do...?

Outside circumstances don't matter.

Just like Bill Goldberg said, at the end of the day, Benoit killed his wife and son. Period.

Does anyone know who the 2nd texted co-workers is (sorry if this has been answered somewhere in this thread)?

The WWE.comnting of the texts shows that each begins with "C, S." No one else has reported this.

It's been clarified that Benoit spoke with 2 unidentified co-workers (not office people) over the weekend, and it is further explained that the texts were sent to these co-workers. One co-worker was reported as saying that Benoit said "I love you" at the end of the convo, and Chavo made it clear on air that he talked to Benoit and that Benoit told him those words. So we would know who "C" is even without it already having been reported that Chavo received curious texts.

But, who is "S"? This other person was ID'd as a frequent traveling companion, but there is no one on the SD/ECW roster whose name satisfies that, real name or otherwise. Was it an agent, maybe? I can't think of anyone.

And I find it weird that Benoit sent the same message to the same 2 people (according to wwe.com) multiple times from Nancy's phone. I can understand sending more than one just in case, but maybe he wanted to make sure it the sentiment was "hey, pay attention to this" without outright saying what he did/planned to do...?

The "S" could have been meant for Chavo. Chavo's real name is Salvador Guerrero III.

I WISH I could find it again, but one dude posted an action figure with Droz in a wheelchair wearing a cowboy hat. Under the pic was listed "Here's Droz, chillin' in his wheelchair." I nearly died laughing

Muchnick brought up a good point.....And O'reilly Hoed him in typical O'reilly fashion....

Ugh..I hate O'reilly...Especially when i know he's jumping to conclusions

actually he didn't get 3 words in before orielly went nuts on him and started shouting over him.

In the opening promo he said "is the benoit murder case going to finally be the thing that brings down professional wrestling". Of course, Orielly came across as acting like every wrestler is a doped up, high on crack, wife abuser and steriods nutcase. annoying watching someone who really knows nothing about the business act like he knows everything about it.

The "S" could have been meant for Chavo. Chavo's real name is Salvador Guerrero III.

I didn't know that; thanks.

Of course, if Chavo was "S," who is "C"? Switching Chavo from ring name to real name takes care of "S," but I looked over and no one else caught my eye for "C."

I didn't know that; thanks.

Of course, if Chavo was "S," who is "C"? Switching Chavo from ring name to real name takes care of "S," but I looked over and no one else caught my eye for "C."

Edge?

Though given the tributes, S for Steve Regal and C for Chavo has to be a good shout.