TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

American Gladiators

WTF, do these Gladiators even practice these events beforehand?

Mayhem sucks at Joust. Militia had no idea what he was doing in Hang Tough on the first show.

Militia got hurt they said, that's why Wolf replaced him on the Skater Dude's run on HT. Mayhem is just a gangly bastard who messed up, then managed to mess up THE EXACT SAME WAY... ONLY FASTER the second time around. Then pushed the guy into the water afterwards. Yeah, good job fuck up then fuck up again then act like a douche.

I wanted a return of Choose Your Destiny too, but the Eliminator is longer and more murder-death-kill this time around (Cargo Net to Hand Bike I'm looking at you) so it would be insanity to have someone even try. I do like that they took one aspect of one of the old shows eliminators and made it a separate event in the run across a beam/bridge and get shit tossed at you.

I don't like the new Assault, it seems like the whole arena is smaller (i.e. less run time between firing stations) so they had to make it "harder" to shoot by adding loading the weapon and "find the arrow in the sand" which I HATE. Do they have the three balls near the end to just sort lob and pray they don't get facialed in the end? Probably not since they didn't talk about a button to push for extra points.

The New Powerball is iffy, they could have made the openings wide without going to garbage can sized openings.

So far, my childhood weeps just a little, hopefully this gets better.

And Toya in the first game just gave up. Gave up I says. I did dig the "Elder Statesman" getting in trouble for general douchebaggery in the first event.

If there is no Atlasphere, I will be dissappointed.

Yeah, I hope they do have Atlasphere as well. I don't like the new one where they run across the bridge and avoid those swinging bags. It's lame.

The Hit and Run was a part of The Eliminator during a few seasons. I like it, at some point someone is going to get totally owned on that one, and it could be worse. Swingshot could have come back. That game SUCKED.

You can definitely see a lot of fingerprints from the British version on this show...

- Hit and Run and Earthquake were both events on the British show

- Calling the treadmill the 'travelator' and having a balance beam in the Eliminator

- Having the ref (by the way, has that guy put on some pounds since he did 'Dodgeball' or what?) count down '3 ... 2... 1"

Van Earl Wright (the off-camera announcer) is no Mike Adamle, but it was a lot better than having Hogan do play-by-play, which is what I thought they were going to do.

Seems like in all the promotional materials, they've been really pushing the background stories of the contenders and making it more storyline-driven, but between doing all that and having interviews before AND after every event, they're wasting too much time and not getting in enough events. The old show figured out that cramming as many events as possible was the way to go after a couple seasons. Hopefully, it doesn't take this generation that long.

The water seemed like a good idea when they were promoting things, but I think it ultimately hinders some events. Hang Tough was ruined by cutting the grid of rings in half (the Gladiators are about 1 ring off the platform and they are already under attack), and the Assault course had to get tricked up to compensate for having the stations so close together. I like the Eliminator, but there were just too many things in too tight of a space. What's the point of running down the balance beam? Why try to hold on to the Ninja Warrior rolling log? Some penalties there would help, especially if you are using Eliminator times for second-round seeding (which it looks like they are doing).

The contestants were really annoying but I like the events just fine.

I marked for Assault...

And damn, Gina Carano is looking good here.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

94 posts on a remake of American Gladiators. That's it, I support the writers' strike now.

I thought the most enjoyable aspect were the Gladiators myself. One of my favorite aspects of AG was always the Gladiators and their personalities. Wolf was by far the best. At first I thought he was over acting, but by the end where he hit that powerbomb off the Pyramid, I realized...He may not be acting. He may KILL someone. Toa got points for his chant right before Pyramid, where the contestant just looked at him like "...Oh fuck". Titan was ALWAYS posing which made me chuckle. The women didn't really have any personalities beyond Gina's hotness.

Needs work, but it was fun.

Why do they have a car in the middle of the course?

I believe it's the vehicle the eventual winners receive. Probably just there for product placement purposes at this point.

It's also much easier to watch in this format then in syndication all out of order.

At least now I will remember contestants in the later rounds.

Speaking of the show's dialogue being scripted; did anyone else want to slap the shit out of "Ms. Positivity Venus" as much as I did? Before and after every event when being interviewed, she went off on some tangent about how going through an obstacle was akin to her passing some test in Med school, or doing some other random thing. Even my girlfriend was getting tired of her by the second half of the show. We finally ended up turning the channel after her interview following the eliminator:

"I can't feel my legs, and I can't breath,...........BUT I FEEL FRIKKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!"

Anyone see a Gladiator becoming as popular as original Gladiator Nitro was? Wolf is the only one that really stands out, as lame as his gimmick is.

*EDIT* Did anyone else enjoy the almost-piledriver that that one Gladiator gave that girl on the first show?

I thought we might see a powerbomb there for a second.

As much as I loathe Wolf's gimmick already, he and Toa are the only ones with any sort of personality.

By the end of two hours I thought this was fine and I like the Eliminator (and the weekly prospect of Gina Carano possibly falling into a pool of water) but I hate how overly post-produced it seems. I realize in this day and age you probably can't air a straight up competition show without dramatic music cues, annoying "quick spin" camera shots to show the hosts and contenders, and the like (and the original AG was an afternoon syndicated show, at least in my market) but at first it was so annoying. It was like "Mark Burnett Presents: American Gladiators". It started off really bad with the way the edited together Powerball - the hits all sounded like they had a fake sound effect added for crying out loud. I also think they ruined Assault - they spent way too much time loading their weapons / searching for ammo, but maybe the next contenders will have a better idea of what to do. Still my favourite Non-Eliminator event.

Anyhow, by the time the Eliminator for the 10pm hour came about, a lot of this stuff didn't seem to bother me anymore and I figure I'll be watching tonight.

It's early but Hogan really seems toned down. They hired the guy because he's Hulk Hogan, be Hulk Hogan.

Well, at least he said "brother" about 5 times when interviewing the Jeff guy who misses his try-out 14 years ago after the Eliminator.

It's early but Hogan really seems toned down. They hired the guy because he's Hulk Hogan, be Hulk Hogan.

Well, at least he said "brother" about 5 times when interviewing the Jeff guy who misses his try-out 14 years ago after the Eliminator.

Maybe Hogan finally learned the art of putting others over and not getting himself over at the same time?

Maybe Hogan finally learned the art of putting others over and not getting himself over at the same time?

Lies. When he introduced that Ali chick and she was speaking to the camera, he was shamelessly mugging/posing for the camera. Make sure you show her who the star is, Terry!

NBC’s revamp of the campy competition classic “American Gladiators” scored the highest new series premiere rating of the season.

“Gladiators” earned a 5.9 preliminary rating among adults 18 to 49 and was seen by 12 million viewers. The demo rating gives "Gladiators" the best score for an NBC debut since “Heroes." Previously, the highest premiere tally this season was held by "Bionic Woman" (5.7), NBC's other action-filled primetime remake.

The two-hour premiere came in second during the 9 p.m. hour behind an original episode of “Desperate Housewives” (7.2), but it handily won the 10 p.m. hour. What’s more, “Gladiators’” final half-hour was its highest-rated, with a 6.1, which bodes well for the true test of the show’s strength when the show airs tonight in its regular time period.

I still think the scripted lines are a bit annoying, especially the hillbilly tonight.

What isn't annoying is Crush delivering a constant supply of smoking hot beatdowns on the Joust. She fucked Siene up.

I want Wesley "Two Scoops" Berry to come back and do a run-thru of the show.

YES! That was one badass motherfucker. Doing a flip in the air over a gladiator??!?!? Insanity.

That was Kyler Storm who did the flip over Turbo during Season 7's "Battle of the Best".

YES! That was one badass motherfucker. Doing a flip in the air over a gladiator??!?!? Insanity.

That was Kyler Storm who did the flip over Turbo during Season 7's "Battle of the Best".

That would be

But of course, Turbo

In regards to the new version, I think it is a fun show. I could REALLY do without the general do-gooderies that the contestants keep spitting out, but otherwise its still fun... even if it doesn't have the Csonk.

I missed that episode. but what the fuck was up with Turbo? I can understand getting embarrassed during Breakthrough and maybe sneaking a shot to the ribs during a tie up, but that was blatant. Dude's lucky he didn't get fired and walked off the set, or at least had Kyler getting pissed and charging him in front of the cameras.

That would be

But of course, Turbo

In regards to the new version, I think it is a fun show. I could REALLY do without the general do-gooderies that the contestants keep spitting out, but otherwise its still fun... even if it doesn't have the Csonk.

That flip was pretty insane. Anyone remember how well he fared in the Conquer part of the game?

Turbo punching him in the face was completely uncalled-for. Faking you out or not, you dont jump down and slam your fist into the guy's face. You're two grown men using bungee cords trying to grabs colored balls from a stick in the sky. Have a little self respect at least and don't go punching the smaller guy because he unknowingly broke the rules.

The country hick was kind of funny in his promos. The unseen commentator seemed even more annoying in this episode with all his puns that even I didn't like (something about "Justice's Injustice").

why does Hellga just seem to give up after awhile and let the contender go ahead and get to the finish of Gauntlet?

Toa looks just like Rock when he's doing the intense, buggy eyed thing.