TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2008 - Conference Semifinals

Guest Tzar Lysergic
That would be tough because I have a highly irrational hatred for LeBron but he'd be playing for my team in that scenario. I don't know how I'd feel about that since it would be like Jordan being a Knick, Jeter being a Met or Troy Aikman being the Giants' QB. Can you really root for the player you dislike the most just because they ended up on your team?

Magnificent question. For me, no. I'd turn on the Colts thatfast if they ever had say..Tom Brady as a QB or The Hooded One as a coach by some bizarre twist of fate. Vinatieri didn't bug me. Kickers are kickers. Make 'em and you're ok. Favre in a Bears jersey? Makes me fucking gag thinking about it.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Hey, basketball thread!

I'm a casual NBA fan at best. I don't really have a team loyalty..Bulls and Pacers I guess, being a homer. I enjoy watching Chris Paul, though. That fucker's good. As with all sports I have an above-marginal interest in, I'll root for upsets.

Can't blame Turkey Glue. Dude played his ass off.

I will blame Dwight Howard though. Non-existent in the fourth and missed a layup at the buzzer.

In those last two minutes... Rip Hamilton posted up Dooling FOUR STRAIGHT plays in a row! :lol: it resulted in TWO posted-up jump shots for Rip, and Rip drawing a foul (and then a technical). That's hilarious.

For christmas, Orlando should ask for guards who aren't midgets.

Well I knew the Cavs would make a huge charge in game 3 and probably 4. The Celtics just need to weather this, try to come out strong in game 4 and kick ass in game 5. The Cavs other players (aside from Big Z) haven't shown they can consistently play at this high a level.

Well hopefully Lebron's shooting woes continue and the rest of the Cavs don't play so well. If West and the rest of those guys hadn't stepped up they would be down 3-0. And those guys haven't proven they can step up in every game. So we'll see, even if Boston doesn't win on the road I just don't see them losing at home to the Cavs.

I have a feeling LeBron will win a game this series virtually by himself. It's up to his teammates to provide the other two wins going forward.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. But, I was shocked he was still virtually held down offensively in game 3. That gave me a bit of hope the Celtics could hold him at least in Boston in Games 5 and possibly 7.

I think he may end up going off in a game 4 or 6 though.

Apparently, LeBron has set US pro basketball records (NBA, ABA, et all) for offensive futility by shooting roughly 25% across three straight playoff games.

I never thought I'd say this, but Cleveland has got to be down on their knees thanking people for trading all those guys for Ben Wallace, Wally, et all, as they put up most of the points in Saturday's win over the Celtics.

I don't understand NBA officials anymore. Turiaf hits a guy 50 pounds or so lighter across the arm and that's an ejection/Flagrant 2. Guys intentionally clothesline/horse collar players and get flagrant 1's. Watching the playoffs is an exercise in frustration.

nba officiating is a crock, if they could hav efixed the race between bavetta and barkley they'd have screwed that one up too. Anybody know who is calling tonight's TNT game...heres hoping its marv, this is really gonna be a great series, gotta see if the spurs have any bullets left in the gun.

I don't understand NBA officials anymore. Turiaf hits a guy 50 pounds or so lighter across the arm and that's an ejection/Flagrant 2. Guys intentionally clothesline/horse collar players and get flagrant 1's. Watching the playoffs is an exercise in frustration.

Gotta love NBA officiating.

Kobe really trusted his teammates in OT didn't he

What a disgraceful display

I was waiting to see when/if the old Kobe would show up in the playoffs and he did tonight. He basically shot them out of the game in OT.

He really seemed like that injury or bruise or whatever he got was bugging him in OT. The guy didn't get any elevation when AK blocked him in OT.

If it's just a little bump and he's fine (which i expect it is) then I don't see how the Jazz can win this series. I just don't see them winning a game in LA. But, they can maybe stretch it to 7.

He really seemed like that injury or bruise or whatever he got was bugging him in OT. The guy didn't get any elevation when AK blocked him in OT.

If it's just a little bump and he's fine (which i expect it is) then I don't see how the Jazz can win this series. I just don't see them winning a game in LA. But, they can maybe stretch it to 7.

I can see them winning 1 game in LA... but that doesn't mean shit if the Lakers can actually win one in Salt Lake.

All I care about at this point is the Hornets beating the Spurs, preferably in 5 or 6 so that they can get a few days off before the Lakers-Jazz survivor stumbles into the Western Conference finals.

All we've gotta do is win the home games. I don't understand what Kobe was doing, but seeing as Utah wasn't putting a body on him in overtime, he got sucked into the trap of shooting the ball too much. It'll be ok. Just win at home. As long as Fisher can stay on the court, things have been ok. Nobody else can put a body on Williams, and we're getting killed when Fish finds himself in foul trouble.

The Turiaf play was worth an ejection. I don't think it was intentional, but it was pretty rough.

Just win the home games.

There was nothing rough about the turiaf play. He was just bigger than price. Their bodies came together and the little guy flew farther. If it were two big guys, it would have been a regular foul.

And okay, its time for me to call it out.

Whats with all these "i don't see HOW so and so can win at so and so's home court".

What the hell do you mean you don't see how. By scoring more points than them. Its not like there is a energy draining device on the court when you are on the other teams court. Home court is not some incredible advantage that can't be over come. Its basketball, simple as that.

I agree about that last part. To say Utah can't win in LA is pretty dumb. The reason why these teams are where they are is because they can win the tough road games.

I agree about that last part. To say Utah can't win in LA is pretty dumb. The reason why these teams are where they are is because they can win the tough road games.

There is no magical device, teams just play better at home when they're energized by their home crowd. Plus, officiating can be influenced in front of the home crowd.

I just see LA winning at home. I don't see Utah beating them in LA, unless Bryant is hurt or shaken up badly, then it's anyone's series.

But, to completely discount home court is kind of silly.

The one thing that gives me hope is that if this goes to 7 games that Jazz might be able to pull it out. Reminds me of last year's series against Houston when we went down 2-0 and then exchanged wins on each other's home floors until we went to Houston for game 7 and won. However, that's way down the road and this is a much better team than that Rockets team. I'm just happy with the win today and that this series is back at 2-2.

There is no magical device, teams just play better at home when they're energized by their home crowd. Plus, officiating can be influenced in front of the home crowd.

I just see LA winning at home. I don't see Utah beating them in LA, unless Bryant is hurt or shaken up badly, then it's anyone's series.

Its a home court advantage but I don't see how anyone can't fathom someone losing at home. Crowd, blah blah blah, at the end of the day its basketball.

I am not undervaluing the difference between sleeping in your own bed and sleeping in a hotel, but I think you are putting way too much stock into someone playing at home.

Its a home court advantage but I don't see how anyone can't fathom someone losing at home. Crowd, blah blah blah, at the end of the day its basketball.

I am not undervaluing the difference between sleeping in your own bed and sleeping in a hotel, but I think you are putting way too much stock into someone playing at home.

I think I'm putting stock into the fact that I think the Lakers are very good.

Home cooking (up)

'Plan' of Celtics brass to end road woes is in place - Boston, not Cleveland

By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Columnist | May 12, 2008

CLEVELAND - The Celtics' braintrust stayed up past midnight after the Saturday night massacre at the Q. Wyc Grousbeck, Steve Pagliuca, Danny Ainge, Doc Rivers, and Jo Jo White plotted deep into yesterday morning and came up with a plan they think will solve the team's postseason road woes. Home away from home.

It's not reality, of course. It's not even virtual reality. It's the concept of a virtual Boston Garden right here in Cleveland.

It starts in the team hotel. After Saturday night's loss, Celtics brass rigged and wired the team's hotel headquarters to simulate Boston.

This morning, a copy of the Globe will be set outside each player's room. If Kevin Garnett flips on his clock radio, he'll hear Glenn Ordway and friends screaming over each other on "The Big Show." If Paul Pierce clicks on his TV, he'll see Hazel Mae at the NESN sports desk. If Ray Allen orders room service, he'll get a bowl of Legal Seafoods clam chowder.

The Celtics will be transported to the arena on a Duck Boat. The tour guide will tell them that Lake Erie is the Charles River. They'll be told Cleveland's historic Key Tower is actually the Custom House Tower. Jacobs Field? That's Fenway Park. Janet Marie Smith has really made the place over, no?

Once they get to the arena it'll be a Garden take-out party. Wyc and Pags are flying all things Causeway Street to Cleveland.

Start with the uniforms. After Saturday night's blowout, the Celtics petitioned commissioner David Stern to wear white jerseys at every game. Stern, who desperately wants the Celtics to play the Lakers in the NBA Finals, quickly agreed. So the Celtics will don white jersey tops when they dress for tonight's game. The Cavaliers are required to wear red or blue.

When the players look outside their dressing room, they'll see the Celtic Dancers, stretching in the hallway underneath the stands at the Q. They'll see Lucky the Leprechaun assembling his props for the evening's entertainment.

Before the Celtics go out for warmups, Rene Rancourt will sing the anthem for them in the Boston locker room. It'll be a private audience because the Cavaliers won't allow the Bruins/Celtics good-luck singer to work the crowd at the Q.

Francis O'Bryant, a Celtics operations liaison who has been part of the team's locker room since the early 1970s, will help the players with ticket orders and other special requests. Francis never misses a home game. His regal presence will ensure the Celtics they are safe at home.

When they finally enter the arena, some of the Celtics might notice they are not at the Garden, but Wyc and friends are doing everything imaginable to make it feel like a Garden game.

The brass scored a few front-row seats and will sprinkle the arena with Garden regulars like Lenny Clarke, Donnie Wahlberg, Laurence Maroney, and Leonardo DiCaprio. Longtime Celtics season-ticket holder Mike Rotondi will be at courtside.

Coach Willie Maye will be prowling the stands in his sweat suit, microphone in hand. Bob Cousy and Tommy Heinsohn will be working alongside Mike Gorman.

Steve Nazzaro, Mike Swartz, Sherri Geller, Miriam Yorks and the rest of the Garden stat crew and game-night staff will be on hand. More familiar faces.

Wyc is even trying to get the Cavaliers to allow a "Heroes Among Us" presentation during an early timeout. Wyc and Pags will fire Celtics T-shirts into the crowd when Boston is in its huddle.

The Cavaliers have been pretty accommodating about everything, but they drew the line at Gino. Cleveland management won't allow the Celtics to put the "American Bandstand" disco number on the big board. Instead, the Celtics will see video of Gino in their locker room at halftime.

That's it. Management can do no more. The Celtics cannot win a road playoff game, so Wyc Grousbeck and Co. have brought the Boston Garden to Cleveland. Let's see how the fellas respond tonight.

I hate my favorite basketball team.