TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

NBA: Looking forward to this year?

I'm actually interested in this upcoming season with the moves that have been made in the offseason. Shaq in Miami. Kobe alone in LA. T-Mac and Yao in Houston. Francis in Orlando. Denver's moves to improve themselves.

I think this could be a fun year with how many changes have happened to the teams that will affect their lineups for next couple years in this latest realignment of talent.

Very much so, for the same reasons. Kobe without Shaq, and vice versa. Tracy McGrady with a real teammate. Steve Nash in Phoenix. The Charlotte Bobcats. Orlando with Steve Francis and the occasional appearance by Jameer Nelson.

I wonder if the Spurs will keep Manu Ginobili in the starting lineup as the Shooter Guard or will they rotate that spot like they did last year. Will this year's free agent pickup of Brent Barry be the final piece that the team needs to get to the finals or will the team just choke under pressure again? Will coach Popavich go crazy with a small starting line up of all guards of Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, Barry, Brown? Bottom line can the team put up enough points on the offensive end and make those important FREE THROWS in the 4th quarter of the game.

I wonder how the Kings will look like badasses until about March, where they start to unravel and then eventually fold like accordians around the second round or so of the playoffs.

I'm just praying that my Celtics really tank it this year. A top 5 draft pick and lots of cap space next season should make them somewhat of a contender. Pierce is nothing on his own, and definitely needs a second "star to play with. Hopefully they let Jefferson play Power Forward, and Delonte West run the point all year just to get them some experience.

I really could care less if Payton actually shows up or not, i'm hoping he doesn;t I guess...since anything that makes them worse this year is GOOd for me :)

Guest Salacious Crumb

I'm fairly excited since the Pistons won the title last year. But the NFL/college football always leeches my attention away from the early months of the NBA.

Seeing as there's no hockey for the next little while, I'm looking forward to the season more than usual.

Lots of drama with my boys because of Vince (who I assume will be professional about playing), and an interesting new look with the local team with a Macgrady-Yao combo leading the way...

While not a huge hoops fan, I too am curious to see how Yao/T-Mac will work here in Houston. The Rockets have many, many new faces this season and I'm anxious to see how long it takes Van Gundy to get them molded into a team.

It seems wrong that basketball is starting again already, though.

Guest GreatOne

Oh come on, you mean that Washington/Charlotte tilt on Nov. 4 doesn't pique your interest? :lol:

Guest fanofcoils
I'm actually interested in this upcoming season with the moves that have been made in the offseason. Shaq in Miami. Kobe alone in LA. T-Mac and Yao in Houston. Francis in Orlando. Denver's moves to improve themselves.

I think this could be a fun year with how many changes have happened to the teams that will affect their lineups for next couple years in this latest realignment of talent.

Kobe alone in LA? He won't win anything but the LA/Miami matchups will be fun to watch. T-Mac and Yao in Houston, talk about Kobe and Shaq lite. Also Yao didn't seem to do anything to improve his status mainstream last year. Francis in Orlando? What a joke, that means nothing, it is the same exact thing as last year with McGrady in Orlando, except Francis is probably a worse player. Denver's moves to improve themselves? Unless they have chemistry like Detroit they aren't winning anything.

Guest fanofcoils
Very much so, for the same reasons.  Kobe without Shaq, and vice versa.  Tracy McGrady with a real teammate.  Steve Nash in Phoenix.  The Charlotte Bobcats.  Orlando with Steve Francis and the occasional appearance by Jameer Nelson.

Steve Nash in Phoenix? That is the same thing as Steve Nash in Dallas, nothing new. The Charlotte Bobcats? That is going to suck, another team to worsen the quality of the NBA game further.

Shaq vs Kobe sounds fun, Kings are a joke team, Spurs can win since they seem to have gotten it right so far. I'm wondering what is the logic of trading away Martin from the Nets. And how is Jefferson the franchise player and not him. It seems Emeka Okafor is basically Kenyon Martin except undersized with back problems.

Guest Vitamin X

The LA-Miami games will be fun, I'm not sure if they'll be played here or in Los Angeles, but I'll have to be safe in AA Arena with my Kobe jersey if/when they do play.

This season is going to be extremely interesting. The Lakers are a total wildcard, with a pretty much all brand-new team. I think the T-Wolves have enough to take it all the way, though...

Guest Flyboy

McGrady/Yao and the thought that I'll be able to see McGrady Vs. Kobe more in the regular season is definitely exciting.

Last year I was looking forward to seeing how the Lakers would do, being a huge Karl Malone fan, and the Western Confernece would wind up.

This year I'm majorly excited that the Jazz, my favorite team, have been able to rebuild themselves with little down time. I'm also excited that the Western Conference is going to be completely stacked, and that the Eastern Conference seems to be doing better.

On paper, IMO, it's tough for me to bet against a possible Pistons repeat. They lost little in the off season and got some decent backups for the Wallaces with Antonio McDyess and Derrick Coleman on board. The Pacers may be able to still do something, but someone HAS to step in at the 2 guard because Reggie Miller simply cannot start at 2 guard and get to the finals anymore. He would be good firepower off the bench, but he cannot deal with the likes of guys like Hamilton, Redd, AI, Pierce, Carter, etc. on a night in, night out basis. Shaq is now in Miami, but are they deep past Shaq, Wade, and Eddie Jones?

Out west, on paper, it looks to be San Antonio and Minnesota duking it out for supremacy. Troy Hudson coming back from season long injury may be the key there as he was missed when Cassell went limp late last year. Houston will have to prove it has the chemistry to pull good things off. The Kings didn't make improvements and actually downgraded somewhat at center when Divac left. The Lakers downgraded huge at center with Shaq gone and replaced him with Divac and Chris Mihm. Not good. The Mavs got worse. Denver improved. In the west, who knows.

Pistons should be amazing again if they can find someone to back up chauncey billups at the point with Mike James going to free agency.. Delfino will be a stud on defense at least, and McDyess if he is anywhere near his prime level output could be the biggest free agent steal of theyear.

Losing Okur will hurt the Pistons in the long run...but he got too good of a deal to pass up.

Without the Red Wings I will definatly watch more Pistons games this year. Although I have a hard time watching basketball regularly...I'll get fed up and channel surf after too many light taps get called for fouls and slow down the game too much.

Guest Vitamin X
The Lakers downgraded huge at center with Shaq gone and replaced him with Divac and Chris Mihm. Not good. The Mavs got worse. Denver improved. In the west, who knows.

Don't forget LA also got Odom, Butler, and Grant in return, and with the new offense Rudy T. would put in place, the big center position might not be as important as it was when LA ran the triangle with Shaq...

I think they could be either really great or really bad, they're a total wildcard.

Guest MikeSC

In a syllable, no.

I'd be thrilled if they got locked out and cancelled the season. NBA ceased being entertaining nearly a decade ago.

-=Mike

In a syllable, no.

I'd be thrilled if they got locked out and cancelled the season. NBA ceased being entertaining nearly a decade ago.

-=Mike

Mike, it's been said that the only reason why the NBA extended their own CBA for only a year was because most owners did not wish to have a strike in the same year as the NHL (since a few of NBA owners have NHL teams, or at least play in the same building).

So you could have have an NBA strike next year.

Also, I think it'll be interesting this coming year. I'm partically interested in the tandum of Larry Huges, Gilbert Arenas and Antwain Walker in Washington, because it looks like the Wizard might fair a lot better this year with those guys leading the charge.

Then again, maybe I'm just optimistic on team fortunes.

I'm looking foward to the season big time. The damn West is so freakin loaded that I honestly believe any team can make the playoffs( perhaps except for the Warrriors)

Being a Clipper fan I can't wait to see Shaun Livingston play, they say that down the road he could be better than Penny in his prime and just below Magic Johnson. Plus I think that the Clippers might surprise this year if everyone can stay healthy.

Guest GreatOne

For shits and giggles I wanna see a night of games in the 100s and a couple of 110-95 games where even the worst team shoots at least 47% from the floor, then someone starts up a 'No defense in the NBA' thread the next day.

Using that logic I hope someone starts up a 'The questions weren't hard enough' thread when I get a 90 on my next exam. :lol: