TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
algrim

WWE Main Eventer Leaving After SummerSlam

-- Chris Jericho is expected to be gone from the WWE within 6 weeks, with SummerSlam being his last show. Jericho has a multitude of gigs booked for his band, Fozzy, including a ten-day tour of the UK in October.

Good. Dude is stale as hell and quickly becoming a bitchy little douche. Time away from the WWE will do him a world of good.

"Bitchy little douche?" Um, okay then.

Well, I really hope he decides to stay, because he's one of my favorite wrestlers. However, he could give quite the boost to TNA if he decides he still does want to wrestle part time. We'll see. Then again, talks like these were happening when RVD's contract was up last year, and that didn't really amount to anything.

Guest jumpingbombangel
-- Chris Jericho is expected to be gone from the WWE within 6 weeks, with SummerSlam being his last show. Jericho has a multitude of gigs booked for his band, Fozzy, including a ten-day tour of the UK in October.

Good. Dude is stale as hell and quickly becoming a bitchy little douche. Time away from the WWE will do him a world of good.

"Bitchy little douche?" Um, okay then.

Dude *is* becoming a bitchy little douchebag. I once enjoyed his internet commentaries until they became caustic reminders of my own feelings. He needs to quit if he wants to be happy.

Guest Ransome

Assuming Summerslam is Jericho's last show, will WWE acknowledge it as such at all or will he just disappear without an explanation? I did think it was a little strange that they were putting Jericho into the mainevent of SS after years of midcarding, but of course now it makes sense. At the very least, I'm guessing he'll get a post-PPV farewell from the roster (a la, say, Flair in May 2003).

If his wrestling career is over permanently, then I see no reason at all why they can't release the obvious retrospective Chris Jericho DVD.

He had a good career.

Hopefully Brock comes back at SummerSlam to take his place on Raw. Or SmackDown. Whatever.

I do remember a story a few months ago saying Jericho's contract ended in August and there was question as to whether or not he would re-sign given the current creative nature of the company.

Chris Jericho was on Opie and Anthony the day RAW was at MSG, and they brought up his contract was up in August, and he didn't say yes or no, but he did say that he was burnt out from having to manage both the RAW Tour of Europe and the Fozzy Tour at the same time.

Jericho/Cena is going to be ruined by the crowd getting all over Jericho for leaving like they did to Lesnar.

Guest jumpingbombangel
I do remember a story a few months ago saying Jericho's contract ended in August and there was question as to whether or not he would re-sign given the current creative nature of the company.

Chris Jericho was on Opie and Anthony the day RAW was at MSG, and they brought up his contract was up in August, and he didn't say yes or no, but he did say that he was burnt out from having to manage both the RAW Tour of Europe and the Fozzy Tour at the same time.

Jericho/Cena is going to be ruined by the crowd getting all over Jericho for leaving like they did to Lesnar.

I doubt they'd shit all over him as bad as they did Brock. Brock left because he thought he was bigger than wrestling and therefore wanted to try football (HAHAHAHAHA!). Jericho is tired of the WWE and he needs to quit now before they really start giving him reason to bitch.

Rock wrestled on every PPV from Bad Blood 97-Wrestlemania X-7 so he's at 42.

Jericho is at 32, having wrestled on every PPV since Judgment Day 2002.

This isn't counting the Brit PPVs or ONS

Heh, and I am NOT SURPRISED they are not putting the title on Y2J.

Well, now that we have writers for Nickelodeon, we will have a nice main event at WM22....

Ladder Match

JBL vs. Plankton....BATTLE OF THE HEELS

ALL HAIL PLANKTON! ALL HAIL PLANKTON! ALL HAIL PLANKTON!

How can Jericho really be anyone's favorite wrestler anymore? His promos are stale, he wrestles basically the same way in every match, and he isn't getting a real push (the current one with Cena basically got pulled out of nowhere...Jericho wasn't doing anything up to that point, and Cena is going to beat him anyway). Sure, he gets in the occasional funny one-liner, but overall he hasn't done anything of real merit in the last three or four years, which is WWE's fault.

Assuming Summerslam is Jericho's last show, will WWE acknowledge it as such at all or will he just disappear without an explanation? I did think it was a little strange that they were putting Jericho into the mainevent of SS after years of midcarding, but of course now it makes sense. At the very least, I'm guessing he'll get a post-PPV farewell from the roster (a la, say, Flair in May 2003).

Well, unless the match becomes a 'loser leaves WWE' match, it'd be smart to not acknowledge it. Imagine JR saying that: "Well, it's Jericho's last match... let's see if he can beat Cena tonight."

From WWE.com

Y2J not going anywhere

July 28, 2005

Chris Jericho wants to set the record straight.

With various outside sources reporting that Jericho has yet to sign a contract extension with WWE, the former undisputed champion made sure to contact WWE.com and denounce those reports.

“I signed an extension on Monday in Cleveland at Gund Arena,” Jericho said. “I’ve been working with WWE for six years and I’m not going anywhere.”

Jericho, who didn’t want to disclose specifics regarding the contract, signed a short-term extension this week and said a longer extension is likely still in the works. Jericho still has big plans for his band Fozzy, but doesn’t expect his musical career to interfere with his job as a wrestler.

“Fozzy isn’t a factor at all,” Jericho said. “Things with the band are going great and WWE has been really positive with Fozzy. We have some great opportunities overseas with the band, but none of that is going to hinder my time with WWE.”

“I’m still an employee of WWE,” Jericho said. “My contract had expired but I’m back and looking toward the future.”

Wow, WWE.com really is insane these days. If it's true, then great, because I'd hate to see Jericho go. I've been really enjoying his run these past few weeks as top heel.

How can Jericho really be anyone's favorite wrestler anymore?

Nostalgia.

“I signed an extension on Monday in Cleveland at Gund Arena,” Jericho said. “I’ve been working with WWE for six years and I’m not going anywhere.”

:)

Good to hear. Let's hope he gets a push along with that new contract. :cheers:

Rock wrestled on every PPV from Bad Blood 97-Wrestlemania X-7 so he's at 42.

Jericho is at 32, having wrestled on every PPV since Judgment Day 2002.

This isn't counting the Brit PPVs or ONS

Oh, Jericho's streak isn't that impressive then, especially when you factor in the single-brand effect.

Angle had 40 from Survivor Series 99 to WM 19.

I wouldn't blame Jericho if he did just quit and said fuck it. The guy has been the single most jobbed out, misused wrestler I have ever seen. Since the first month he was in the company he has been in some way screwed over, dicking around with the Road Dog and X-Pac when he should have logically feuded with the Rock.

That said, I don't think he would leave now anyway. If WWE thought he was going to leave, would they really push him in the title match of a PPV? If he was really leaving for good, I'd just have him put over someone....let him job to Chris Masters or something goofy, slightly notable but no one would care if he left (whereas if he was main eventing and left, people would wonder "Where is Jericho?").

So does anyone think Jericho now has a chance in hell of beating Cena for the WWE title now?  With this extension, I think it's a possibility.

No.

I see "short-term extension" and I read "contract to work through SummerSlam," and "working on a long-term deal" translates to "you will see skidmarks in the pavement of the MCI Center after my match is over."

Trust me, I hope like hell I'm wrong because I love Jericho, but this whole thing just reeks of "Word got out that the challenger in the title match of our second biggest PPV of the year is leaving in a few weeks and we need to do anything possible to preserve the illusion he has a chance of winning."