TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Batista out of Wrestlemania

World Wrestling Entertainment's plans for Wrestlemania were thrown out the window with word that Dave Batista, who was in the running for the Raw side of the Mania main event, has gone down to a torn hamstring.

Batista is expected to miss several months and will be undergoing surgery shortly, according to several sources within the company. The Randy Orton punt kick to the head last week was the storyline reason for Batista's disappearance from the company.

There's no word whether the company will acknowledge the legitimate reason for Batista's absence or will just put the heat on Randy Orton.

Batista's hamstring began giving him problems during the most recent European tour and has worsened since. This would be Batista's third major muscle tear, as he's had previous tears to the lat muscles in his back as and his triceps in 2006.

Word within the company is that as of now, they aren't expecting Batista back until June at the earliest, with a worse case scenario being August, so all Wrestlemania plans involving him are out the window for now. That certainly puts momentum towards Cena defending the World title against Randy Orton at the company's flagship PPV.

via PWI's Elite section.

I still wouldn't put it past them to go back to the Austin-Cena match that was apparently on the table. If that were to be the case, that would leave the Raw main event side of things with Orton, Jericho and Punk. Also, wouldn't count out a Cena-HHH rematch.

Anything would be better than Cena/Orton at WM, but it's really the only thing that makes sense right now. But is there anyone who thinks Cena is going to job yet again to Orton at a major PPV, or that Orton would beat Cena at 2 straight WMs?

Cena vs. HHH, Cena vs. UT, or throw a 3rd guy in there with Orton.

i hate batista, so this is great news for me.

I feel the same. This is the best thing to happen to WWE since Big Dave's last injury

Not really. Batista's really improved as a worker since his feuds with Kennedy and Taker in 07. I really like him a lot, though I think it might be time for him to think about hanging it up.

And mfn needs to use the shift button

i hate batista, so this is great news for me.

I feel the same. This is the best thing to happen to WWE since Big Dave's last injury

Not really. Batista's really improved as a worker since his feuds with Kennedy and Taker in 07. I really like him a lot, though I think it might be time for him to think about hanging it up.

And mfn needs to use the shift button

second time you've told me that. i don't see why i 'need' to. i didn't know that this was TSM grammar.

back to the topic @ hand. i don't like to see anyone get hurt, even if it is batista. i still think he's a terrible worker though.

They must not have known about this until recently, other wise Big Dave winning at Armageddon doesn't make much sense. Also with three heels in next week's fourway match, it seems odd, so it makes me think that Batista was originally going to be in Orton's spot.

With three heels in next week's match, I think the original plan was Batista to win over Orton somehow with Cena's help. That would lead to Jericho being eliminated first when everyone gangs up on him, so he can say the world is against him. Then HBK/JBL work together to take out Bats, then HBK is forced to let JBL pin him. So I'm going to guess we get Cena vs JBL at the RR and Cena vs Orton at WM.

Even if the original plan was Orton to face Cena at the RR, it seems at this point that Cena doesn't have many other options for Wrestlemania that make much sense, unless somebody like Morrison comes out of nowhere and wins the Rumble, which would be awesome but won't happen. So that's my predictions/logic behind what we'll see in weeks to come.

I'm not super high on a Cena/Orton WM main event, but it seems fitting for such a landmark event to be headlined by the two superstars that WWE will be built around for years to come. Tough break for Batista - I guess we can't look forward to a heel turn until at least 2010.

Cena/Orton was once the hottest feud not too long ago. Plus their matches tend to be great.

Shame about Batista. He's found his niche and is one of the best in the business at playing that role. I actually like him, I've always enjoyed the Luger role in wrestling.

I think that if Batista wasn't injured, they wouldn't have had him in there against Orton. I think he would have gone over Jericho as the second face in the match. With him getting injured, it was an easy way to get Orton to move on.

Batista has had some decent enough matches, however he was getting pretty played out as a character and the time off-screen could serve him (and the wwe) well. There wasn't really a money feud waiting for him and he was getting pissed off that the company would never put the title on him (which could have been partly because of no fresh feud possibilities).

They should have had Mike Knox take him out. Orton didn't need the heat/rub, and it would have set up Batista/Knox is 6 mos time while giving Knox a killer push right now giving him instant uppercard credibility.

Have Cena talking shit about winning against whoever at the Rumble...and have him compare himself to past legends...including Austin. Have Cena be a dick leading up to No Way Out, and have Austin stun him. This holds up the RAW title. The JBL feud leads to JBL getting HBK off RAW, but, HBK can still show up on Smackdown challenging Hardy for Smackdown title. Then, announce the RAW title will be on the line in a MITB match.

Card:

ME: Cena/Austin

Taker/HHH

Hardy/HBK (Smackdown Title)

CM Punk/Jericho/Orton/Edge/HBK/Mysterio/(returning)RVD MITB former champs for RAW title

Bourne/Matt Hardy(ECW)

Beth/Trish (Women's Title)

The rest can be filler...right there I have enough matches for a solid Wrestlemania....or...if you want to keep MITB as a starmaking event...

Cena/Austin

Taker/HHH (Smackdown title)

Orton/Hardy (RAW title, after Hardy wins Rumble and goes after RAW title)

Mysterio/Bourne vs. Kofi/Punk vs. Miz/Morrison TLC for Tag Titles

Jericho/HBK/Edge/Kennedy/Kendrick/Shelton/Knox/Ziggler MITB

Matt Hardy/RVD (ECW)

Beth/Trish

Cena, Austin, HHH, Taker...they are all big enough to be above a TITLE match. This means casual fans pay for the chance to see the big guys, and you can elevate people at the same time. You could come out with so many different things afterwords.

The Animal Set for surgery

The recipient of Randy Orton’s infamously wicked punt to the skull on the Dec. 15 edition of Monday Night Raw, Batista was knocked out and put out of action indefinitely due to a head injury. While recuperating from the perfectly directed kick to the head, WWE.com has learned that during his recovery, The Animal has also elected to undergo surgery to repair a hamstring tear. Ironically, the hamstring was injured at SummerSlam, in the same match that World Heavyweight Champion John Cena was forced out of action with a neck injury. (Photos of Orton's punt to Batista)

Also, Batista underwent a bone graft in his jaw this past Monday, after having two of his teeth successfully removed due to the punt from Randy Orton.

Just days after being forced to forfeit an opportunity to ultimately contend for the World Heavyweight Title and ascertain revenge against the Legend Killer, Batista travels to Birmingham, Ala., this Friday. At the Andrew Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center, The Animal seeks to mend a partial tear in his hamstring tendon, under the care of Dr. Jeffrey Dugas – a colleague of Dr. James Andrews, who has performed countless, successful surgeries for many Superstars.

Stay logged on to WWE.com as updates become available on Batista’s surgery and details on his condition.

Guess that answers the question if WWE.com would mention that Batista is having surgery.