TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

TSM 2006 NBA Playoffs thread

Oh sorry. Should have looked at the sig for the Lakers logo. I'm not used to people quoting posts unless they're trying to argue.

I think the reason that Kobe's a legitimate candidate for MVP is that his team's gotten so much better throughout the year. They finished the season 11-3, and at this point of the season the Lakers are a better team than the Suns. Kobe is doing what everyone said that he couldn't and he's actually making his teammates better. When you combine that with the increased scoring, Kobe's improved enough this year that you have to count him ahead of Nash even if Nash improved this year too.

Take Nash off of the Suns and take Kobe off the Lakers and the Suns might sweep the series. Their cutters won't get as open, but they'll still have guys that can hit the three, Marion will still score, (he averaged over 19.0 PPG the three years before Nash got there) and their offense will still work. Take Kobe off of the Lakers and the Suns will completely shut down their post players, because Vujacic will be the most consistent perimeter scorer they have. The reason that the Lakers have the ability to beat the Suns in this series is because Kobe > Nash.

On the other hand, if you do want to go with a successful team than you have to take Dirk. The difference between Phoenix and Dallas is worlds greater than the difference between Phoenix and LA, not because of the number of regular season wins, but because Dallas has the ability to win a championship. They look like the most dangerous team in the West right now and Dirk's the only one on that roster that's even a star, let alone a superstar.

The way I see it Dirk and Kobe are pretty much 1 and 1A as far as who deserves the MVP this year, with Nash and LeBron being far behind in third and fourth respectively.

Thank you for succinctly making the argument I dragged on for far too long :wub:

Just to piggyback on 909's prior snide remark (to ripper I think), Tim Thomas had the game of his life, Kobe was almost nonexistent and the Suns won by 5 AT HOME. I still say the Lakers in 6 just because I can't see them winning game 7 on the road. If it goes seven, Phoenix wins just in time to get bounced out by the other LA squad.

More than just Ripper, and I didn't mean it in a snide way.

Marion's also been horrendous, and Kwame Brown just may be a player.

Despite everybody being focused on Kobe vs Nash (they kind of played to a statistical standstill), Lamar Odom's strong performance vs Shawn Marion's weak performance was the real difference maker imo.

By the way, the amount of shot attempts kobe has had in this series has been perfect. I believe it was 21 and 24? That's exactly the right range. If he goes too much higher, he starts dominating the ball and nobody else gets enough shots to really get going, we've seen it all year. i'm giving him his props, scoring while still getting people involved. they won't win shit with kobe scoring 40 on 30+ shot attempts while everybody else stands around.

Marion is playing horribly. I say if he returns to form, the Suns will be fine, but they need him to score on offense for them to win this series.

Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, Jason Terry, Erick Dampier, Keith Van Horn, Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse > Marion, Jones, Bell, Diaw, Thomas, Thomas, Barbosa, House.

I'd like an explanation on this one, if you don't mind.

It's not even close. Look at all their career numbers, and the value each had on the league before the start of this season. Before Nash played with Diaw, Jones, Bell, Thomas, Thomas, and House, they weren't considered much.

Man I was really impressed with the Lakes last night. Odom is really hitting his stride. I'm glad for Kobe too. I think if the Lakers keep playing the way they're playing, they'll take the series. It'll be hotly contested without a doubt, and they need to take both of the games at Staples, but they can do it.

Man Dana Jacobs sucks on 1st and 10. She must really want Kobe.

Woody and Skip were making sense when they were talking about the dunk over Nash and all she could say was "You can't call a foul on that! It was a pretty play! Look at Kobe! FACE!"

It looked like a charge. And even if it wasn't I agree with Woody that Kobe didn't even know who was there, he was just trying to make a play.

He wasn't dunking on the MVP and proving he deserved the MVP or anything. He was just making a play.

I agree with that. It was a broken play and Kobe would've jumped over whoever was there at that particular moment. I don't think it was a charge, but I don't think a foul was committed by Nash either since he just stood there. I've seen way worse contact in the playoffs on dunk plays not get called fouls.

Trust me, Jay Crawford (who usually hosts 1st and 10) is not much better than Dana in terms of Laker fandom. I attribute it to Jay and Dana not really knowing much NBA, but they know they are supposed to care about the Lakers because they get all the media attention, so it's no surprise Dana would come up with that.

I agree with that. It was a broken play and Kobe would've jumped over whoever was there at that particular moment. I don't think it was a charge, but I don't think a foul was committed by Nash either since he just stood there. I've seen way worse contact in the playoffs on dunk plays not get called fouls.

Trust me, Jay Crawford (who usually hosts 1st and 10) is not much better than Dana in terms of Laker fandom. I attribute it to Jay and Dana not really knowing much NBA, but they know they are supposed to care about the Lakers because they get all the media attention, so it's no surprise Dana would come up with that.

Considering Dana was arguing that there are 12 feet in a yard earlier this week, I'd take everything she says with a grain of salt. In other words, bitch is dumb.

In spite of that, I believe it's the Most Vicious Posterizing of 2005-6 aka the M.V.P.

I say it should have been a no-call. That picture will be on some kid's wall by the end of the season.

Marion's just been so focused on Odom that he can't focus on the offensive end. Also, eventually the Suns are going to have to stop doubling Kobe when he comes off the high pick. They're getting killed when they double him. It'll happen within the next two games, and Kobe's gonna have one big one.

I still think the Lakers will split in LA.

Guest Vitamin X
There's no way in hell that they lose two games in the Forum.

.... the Forum? Um, welcome to 2006. The Lakers (along with some other sports teams) play at this new place called the Staples Center. I think it opened about 8 years ago.

I'm actually most impressed with Kwame in this series. I think someone earlier in this thread said something along the lines of "well Bell and Marion are covering Kobe and Odom, the Lakers' two best players, remember THAT!".. I don't think it makes much of a difference. Kobe isn't getting a shitload of calls either, he only went to the free throw line two or three times last night, but Bell was just playing sloppy defense all over. You could tell Raja was getting frustrated. Marion did absolutely awful on Odom as well, but that had a lot to do with the defensive rotation the Lakers were using between Odom and Brown on him. Kwame has turned into a great defender, he seemed to constantly have a hand in a Sun's face every time they shot. Play of the night was symbolic of their win, when the Lakers missed a shot, Kwame jumped way high, up and over on a Sun while barely grabbing the ball (announcers thought it was almost a loose ball foul), dishing it to Odom, who dished it to Kobe, who then posterized Nash for the dunk that's been shown a few times in this thread. That was right after the Suns threatened and brought it within 3.

I know a few days ago I thought Phoenix posed the worst matchup possible in the West for the Lakers this side of San Antonio. The Suns are way too overconfident, like someone in this thread had mentioned earlier, they acted as if this was a 1/16 matchup in the tournament. Every interview with a Suns player was more or less, "Well, they'll just go back to Kobe trying to score 50 and we'll execute our game plan." or "If they try to play balanced, it won't work, we're too fast on offense for them." Even last night, D'Antoni alluded to the loss being more his guys not executing rather than the Lakers slowing down their game and playing great defense.

The Lakers getting no respect? Hard to believe, but true. This is without a doubt the best series of the first round, unless Chicago can give the Heat some trouble in the other 2/7 matchup out East (or rather I should say out here..)

This is really the only series i'm interested in. And how the hell is Nash setting up in front of the restricted area a no call? That shit is a charge.

Pacers win 107-95 to take a 2-1 lead on the Nets. JO was a BEAST tonight, 37 points, 15 boards, 4 blocks. Anthony Johnson had a great game, too. Carter was 0-10 in the second half.

Well, I think Posey just earned a suspension for game 4. He just shoulder-checked Hinrich right to the ground on a fast break.

Man, the Heat just looked like total bitches at the end of that game. I don't see how they can win the east with that attitude. Shit, if Chicago gets under their skin, how will they react if they see Detroit?

I'm pretty sure Haslem was crying. Payton looked completely stunned at the end of that game and Antoine Walker just looked dazed.

The Heat just realized that they could potentially lose this series because they haven't exactly been dominant in Games 1 and 2.

Payton just can't win a title no matter where he goes.

I've hated Chicago for years... YEARS! But this squad is making a Bulls fan out of me. Heat = Overrated.

Guest Kobe24KGold

Hopefully, the Lakers take care of home court and continue to stifle the Suns' run n gun style of basketball.

Good first win for the Lakers (yeah...I am late).

I honestly am impressed with what Phil is doing. He is using the old school Knicks theory of "If we take every second off the shot clock, the other team can't get as many possessions"

I still don't think the Lakers can win this series. But I tells ya, everyone acting like the Lakers have been disrespected is funny.

This was the only series that people were basically saying the Lakers could win. Then after game one, everyone was acting like it was some sort of fluke that Phoenix won by 5. Lakers won by six and all of a sudden they are the greatedst and the SUns suck. Commentators are funny.

Guest StylesMark

Lebron TAKES the shot, instead of passing and The Cavs WIN!!! He's learning!!!!